Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

2004 Suburban AC Mode Actuator

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2009, 5:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Suburban AC Mode Actuator

Replaced battery and did n ot know that you had to make sure the AC was off prior to doing so. Now AC is in default defrost mode, and despite my attempts to reset it (disconnecting battery cables and waiting 5 minutes...), it is still in default mode. A trip to the dealer was not very pleasant - they want $1300 to replace actuator. Can anyone advise? Is that DIY for a car repair savy guy?
Old August 31st, 2009, 5:28 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have replaced many batteries in my career and never had to make sure the AC was off. Why a battery is at the end of its life it does not say hey wait I can not die yet the AC is on. It could just be a fluke. I can not remember off the top of my head if your vents still use vacuum but if they do and you some how disconnected the vac line while installing the battery they would default to defrost. I will try to look one computer tomorrow to see how they are controlled. If they are not then I will look to see what is involved in the repair. You may want to get a subscription to alldata.com so you can see the repair procedure for your self. It is a exact copy of the dealer manual.
Old September 4th, 2009, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem and got same trhe from the shop. went online and did the
ALLDATA subscription and it says the motor is 85.00 and 1.8 hrs. to install. I'm to go another dealer and ask them if this wil work.