Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

97 Suburban K1500 No Start

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2017, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Suburban K1500 No Start

Hi all, I'm having a starting issue. My burb is cranking but will not fire. A few days before it would not start I had a hard start. Took 2-3 tries and I had to keep my foot on gas to start it.

My fuel pressure gauge now reads 0. I replaced the pump with a know good used pump, but still no pressure. I'm beginning to distrust the gauge. I'm also throwing a P1351 code that pertains to the ignition control module. I've replaced the ICM and coil within the last 4 months with a separate issue (ended up being a loose crank position wire causing random shut offs). I'd like to see pressure on the fuel pressure guage, so I might buy a new pump assembly (hopefully comes with newer wiring and install ring).

Even if the ICM was bad, I'm imagining it would not effect the pressure on the fuel guage.
Old May 7th, 2017, 12:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a bad FPR - Fuel pressure regulator on the fuel spider. Did you ever get it resolved?
Old May 7th, 2017, 2:10 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Check the fuel pump relay. You can also spray some starter fluid into the throttle body to see if it runs for a few seconds. You also said something about the wiring at the pump to make sure the fuel pump is getting 12 volts.
Old May 7th, 2017, 1:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Do you here the pump run at initial key on?
My 93 did this with a bad ICM in the distributor. Would run with gas added by hand.