Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Need a 12 volt and Ground source

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2016, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a 12 volt and Ground source

I recently installed a rosen 1210 (Great Unit) in my 2013 Tahoe and also connected a rear camera. The unit has been working well, but the camera works intermittently. I initially powered the camera by tapping into the reverse light, so when the vehicle was in reverse the camera activated. I assume this may have contributed to my camera not working so I decided to connect to a power source in the Left I/P Junction box. Here' s the problem. My research indicates port x14 pin 7 is 12v and pin 1 is ground. When I removed the cover of the I/P junction box I noticed port x14 only has pins sticking out but no plug. Question, is there a plug I can purchase to connect my camera power leads to and plug into this port to get the power I need. The number on the I/P box cover is Delphi part 20813087_N2 if this helps.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 7:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

splice into a nearby lighter socket connector that is powered in accessory and run. It will have a fused 12v source and grd
Old November 23rd, 2016, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I never considered that. If I use the lighter in the rear console, how do I access the wires? Would I need to remove the entire console?
Old November 23rd, 2016, 1:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

i would have to see where it is to answer this question
Old November 24th, 2016, 5:13 PM
CF Beginner

I believe I have it figured out. Did some research and found out how to remove the control panel on the back of the center console. Turns out it pops out after the console top is removed. I will connect at this point.

Thanks for for the suggestion.
Old January 27th, 2017, 10:38 AM
CF Beginner

I spliced into the rear lighter, but this is constant even when the vehicle off. Decided to disconnect and seek out another source. Preferably RAP somewhere.