Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Squealing belt when A/C turns on...

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2008, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Squealing belt when A/C turns on...

I am new to the Forum, thanks for all the great information.

AZSCTACO, did you ever get this issue resolved? My '07 Suburban (5.3L)has been making a similar noise on hot days with remote start, and it is getting very annoying (and embarassing if people are around).

I haven't had a chance to get it into the dealership yet, will try later this week.

Old May 27th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the Tahoe forum. Let us know what you find out.
Old May 28th, 2008, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

I have almost 50K on my ltz..and it has done the same thing for quite some time. When I remote start it sometimes it will shut off too within seconds. I can feel the a/c come on if i turn it on after i start rollin, it feels like i am shifting gears. The dealer said no prob found....same answer for the vavle chatter and jerking as it jumps from 4 to 8 cyl...love the car but am honestly gettin tired to the shrugged scholder or the techs.
Old May 28th, 2008, 3:39 PM
CF Active Member

Not resolved yet....The guy wants me to bring it in so they can let it sit and then start it at lunch to see if it does it. My plan of attack is to get some of these incidents on my video phone and show them. Here is one I got yesterday.....this was a good one to...about 2-3 seconds instead of the brief chirp/squeal. Turn your volume up!!!!!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...27-08_1118.flv

Old May 28th, 2008, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the video, that is EXACTLY what I am experiencing. Please let me know what you find out.

My dealer said they want to keep it a day or two to try and duplicate the problem.
Old May 28th, 2008, 9:54 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

that is an excellent capture for troubleshooting! its quite a chatter Im guessing only those with remote start are hearing it? be nice if you could have teh hood open when doing so but Im guessing you would have to bypass the hood open sensor to get it to start with thehood up
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

There's a hood open sensor?
Old May 29th, 2008, 7:51 AM
Administrator

Yes, I havent looked for its location but if you pop the the hood with the engin running it will tell you the hood is open. The hood being open will also disable the remote start.
The real question is what cheap !#@%^ at GM thought it was a good idea to get rid of the underhood light, better yet who thought it was an even better idea to get rid of the retractable underhood light that could reach around the vehicle (I had this on my 93 stepside)
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:02 AM
CF Active Member

It doesn't matter if i remote start it or not....it will still do it. I'll try and get one of video with the hood open and I'll zone in on the a/c pulley. I understand that dealers don't want to start replacing stuff just to do a process of elimination but I'm not even a mechanic and I can tell them that it is a/c related.....the pulley, the belt, the compressor...something right there. If I bring it in 3 times and they don't have it fixed...I'm calling GM and sending my videos and demanding the whole freaking a/c be replaced. (end of vent )
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Administrator

No venting there , I think your doing a good job of troubleshooting to help you and the dealer, if you have a respectable dealership I think they would be more then happy to listen to your input, you are right thou no one is going to start shotgunning repairs without a good foundation of possible causes. Thou if you are handy/ mechanically inclinded you could remove the AC drive belt and resolve the issue real quick, if it stops then you know exactly where the problem is...

Quick Reply: Squealing belt when A/C turns on...