Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Starter Solenoid Failing

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2016, 10:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Solenoid Failing

Hello all!

I have a 2007 Suburban LT 4WD 5.3. I had a no start condition last week, was able to jump start it to get home just fine. I charged the battery on batter charger but it died the next day again, so I replaced the battery. Seemed logical. When I installed the new battery, car still wouldn't start - so I swapped out the Starter Solenoid in the engine bay fusebox and it started right up. Great! I figure I just need to replace the starter solenoid - maybe I didn't need a new battery oh well. (I bought car used wasn't sure how old battery was).

Now two days later - no start again, swapped out the starter solenoid and the car starts again.

So - any idea what could be overloading my starter solenoid - or is the garbage replacement solenoid from Auto Zone that bad that it fails in three days?

Right now I'm using the rear defroster solenoid in the starter solenoid spot.

Thanks for anything you have! - Robert B
Old May 21st, 2016, 11:20 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

I believe you are talking about the starter relay and not the solenoid. Check the contacts where you are plugging in the relay to make sure they aren't loose or worn. It has to make a good connection. The Autozone relay should last much more than 3 days unless something is making them go bad.
Old May 21st, 2016, 11:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

May also be time for a new starter. Next time it does this, have someone hold the key in the start position and give the starter a good rap with a hammer. If it starts, replace the starter.
Old May 21st, 2016, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks I'll check it out. - Relay makes more sense - bad terminology on my part.
Old May 21st, 2016, 12:16 PM
CF Beginner

Good to know, I'll get the hammer ready!