Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

water pump TOP hose connection leaking

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2017, 10:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default water pump TOP hose connection leaking

hell all. so my heater core is clogged- im not going to replace it as i probably wont have the truck much longer. im going to reverse flush it hopefully tomorrow before work in the afternoon. because the heater core is clogged (one hose is hot the other is cold) i believe coolant isnt circulating as it should and its being forced out- i have a leak and i can see it. i cant find anything online about my leak though.
the leak is on top of the water pump where the rubber hose connects to a metal tube that goes into the water pump. the hose to metal tube isnt leaking, but where the metal tube connects to the water pump is. it is visible once warmed up and with the heat on.
this leak is causing coolant to hit the belt and fan and being slung everywhere in the engine bay. if i have the heat on and its doing this, when i slow down for a stop, my volt gauge dips 1/4 of the way and if at night lights dim and the heater blower gets slower. this does not happen when the heat is off. there must be some sort of o-ring between that metal tube and the water pump but the tube doesnt seem to be secured in place by anything- it looks to be just pushed in there.
replacing the water pump is also out of the question along with the heater core. i just want to have heat for a few weeks until i get my new car.
is there an o-ring or some sort of gasket for this, and if so does anyone know the part number for it? im pretty sure just flushing out my heater core to remove the clog will still cause the leak because its already leaking and is now the weak point.
not sure if my signature has it but its a 2000 suburban 1500 with probably around 310k miles(exact mileage unknown since the screen went out- i need to take that apart and re-solder the pins)
any help would be greatly appreciated. if there isnt some sort of seal there ill make one with RTV or something after the area is cleaned up.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 11:38 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Are you sure the coolant isn't coming out of the weep holes in the water pump. That is what usually happens and when it does the pump will need to be replaced. That is what I had to do.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 11:39 AM
CF Junior Member

deff not coming out of the weep holes, as with the heat on i can actually see right where its coming out of.
Old February 8th, 2017, 5:19 PM
CF Junior Member

well not that anyone cares (200+ views and only one reply) but i reverse flushed the heater core and only green coolant came out that i could see. mightve been some crap but i put the hose down below and into a pan and it got dark so who knows. parts store said the hose metal tube thing most likely has an o ring but they dont have an actual part number. so i bought some thermostat RTV and put it around the part that leaks after cleaning it. letting it cure then gonna fill it up with coolant and see if im gonna have heat and/or a leak or push this stupid truck off the tobin bridge. who knows maybe it will get totalled in tomorrows blizzard on my way to work. tax return cant come soon enough, i want my new car