Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

98 Tracker Hood release

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2014, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Tracker Hood release

I have located the hood release handle but when I pull it does nothing. How can I open the hood ?
Old October 30th, 2014, 3:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I possibly should be the last person to answer your question, I wondered myself, what would I do should it happen to my 2002?
It took me till this week to re-examine the latch operation, although I am already familiar with it. So here goes, if you are still listening...

The key part to the operation is the cable operated pull line which terminates inside the cabin. If that cable breaks or separates, the latch mechanism (as you found out) will not release the hood. See if the cable came loose under the dash. If so, maybe you can pull it with a locking pliers and release the hood lock. This means maybe peeling the outer cover enough to grab onto the thin wire actuator line inside the cable sheathing/cover.

If the cable is loose/broke inside the engine compartment, then things get grim. After looking at my Tracker, there is virtually no access from underneath, nor from the front grille. About the only thing I thought I could do is to drill out the 2 bolts holding the latch mechanism to the radiator brace support and then pulling the hood up enough to open the latch. This attempt being tried through the natural (And limited) opening through the grille. If the attempt failed, then I would have to consider removing or destroying part of the grille to access the latch. Even then the job is difficult.

I hesitated to offer this info because I assume a shop manual likely would address this scenario. Mechanics have already seen this and know the answer? I am sure it has happened, especially in a light front end collision.

The latch mechanism really only has several parts likely to break. In order of importance, 1) The wire/cable (as in your case?); 2) a Small lower spring and 3) A larger spring. I have already shortened the smaller spring because it became stretched and was faltering on locking the hood down. By the way, the springs have nothing to do with opening the hood. Their purpose, from my observation, is to return the moving parts of the latch to their original position, which is to secure the lock/hood in closed position. This is all I know along with these pictures.

JR
Attached Thumbnails 98 Tracker Hood release-dsc00352.jpg   98 Tracker Hood release-dsc00353.jpg