Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Battery Cable Harness 2002 4wd Tracker ZR-2

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2014, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Battery Cable Harness 2002 4wd Tracker ZR-2

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and I hope someone can help. My wife's Tracker is in the shop for intermittent starting problems. My mechanic has diagnosed a bad battery cable harness, and says I'm s*** out of luck. Surely there must be somewhere to get a replacement! I've searched the net without luck, but I don't really know what I'm doing. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Michael W.
Old October 30th, 2014, 4:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

You may have already fixed this... I have a 2002 ZR-2 myself and love the vehicle. There is a major shortcoming. The parts for these are not easy to locate as you are finding out. The Chevy dealer here has already told me several times "Not available." However, the vehicle is made from Suzuki parts (Because it is a Suzuki!!)--generally the Grand Vitara of those years. They look similar and parts are largely interchangeable. I have owned my 2002 ZR-2 since last December and found this out. Lastly, you may have to check with salvage yards (or via such searches on the web). Problem is any electrical parts from yards are probably not much better than yours.

PS---A good mechanic friend of mine just repaired the large alternator cable to the alternator on my ZR-2. I saw it was corroded at the alt connection. Easy to see. While I usually tackle such repairs, in this case it is in a tight location, and the alt cable is short/tight and bundled/jacketed into another wire bundle--its not very flexible. I let him do it!!!! If your Bat cable just has a corroded ending, maybe you can just cut off the bad part and reconnect? Maybe you should get a 2nd opinion on this? Mostly such lines corrode at their connections due to electrolysis of the connecting metals I believe and that is where the electrical failure occurs as well.

JR