Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

steering and front axle

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2015, 7:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering and front axle

Hi all I have a couple of issues wih my recently purchased 2002 chevy tracker. First issue I discovered after the first winter the passenger side (short side) front differential axle was not the way it should be coming straight out the hub assembly but on a slant. Obviously the bearing and seal have let go. Is it possible to replace the bearing and seal without removing complete differential?
Second issue when I got this vehicle the string seemed ok but o noticed a slight drag in the steering figuring it was characteristic of the vehicle I never gave it another thought. We'll I parked it barely for 3 months after he winter and went to move it and he steering was very tight and almost impossible to turn. I've done some reading and ressearch on his and there can be 3 possibilities obviously; power steering pump failure, steering rack failure, or the steering knuckle. The dilemma is how to diagnose each? I've jacked the front end up and tried turning the wheels with the vehicle running and now difference. The power steering pump has not sounded any different (whining or groaning) so figure it's still ok (short of a pressure test, somehing I don't have the fittings or tools to do) as for the knuckle and rack how are these determined short of removing them?
Solutikns,suggestions s and comments welcomeda appreciated.I am a DIY and have mechanical ability and skill not necessarily all the tools but enough to get most jobs done.
Ron