Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Swap 2.5 for 2.0 in 01 tracker

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2016, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap 2.5 for 2.0 in 01 tracker

I have a 2001 Tracker with a 2.5, and a 2001 with a 2.0 the 2.5 is shot, how big of a deal is it to put the 2.0 in to replace the 2.5 alot of people ive asked have alot of different confusing opinions
Old November 27th, 2016, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swapping engines is a delicate matter:
- First of all, compare the engine area between both cars. You must match the engine support positions. If this doesn't match, a lot of welding and modifying awaits. (Believe me, I've done it).
- Then, consider the transmission. Will it bolt right away into the new engine block? Are both cars manual/automatic? Or will you swap the transmissions as well? If so, does the tranny supports match as well?
- After you go over these two steps, you are swapping a 6cyl engine with a 4cyl. The computers are not the same. The V6 computer might be looking for two camshaft position sensors, the spark plug timing is not the same. Also, you'll lose 2 oxygen sensors. The computer and related electronics will go wild. Replacing the computer might work, but you must research carefully and deeply here. Do both computers use the same wire harness couplings? Are the wires positioned exactly the same? What will happen with the unused connections?
- Cooling: If the cars use different sized radiators, probably the 2.5 have a bigger, more capable one. If those are the same, you should be fine bringing the original hoses to the new car. Also, will the fan align properly in the new setup?
- Transmission/final gear ratios: according to some research, the 2.0 have a slower gear ratio, both in the transmission and the differentials. Coupling a ~120 HP engine to replace a ~155 Hp V6, will result in a poorly accelerating car, since it requires more power to turn the wheels. (easily solved using smaller wheels, though).
- Steering: do both cars use the same hydraulic system for power steering?
- Braking: check if both cars have ABS or not. If ABS is present, add another electronic stuff to be considerate while swapping computers.

There is a lot of thing to consider before you do this swap. Hopefully, some one with more knowledge will jump in and clarify each of my statements. I'd really be happy to be illustrated in each one of them.
However, according to my experience I'd rather go out and try to find a working 2.5 V6 engine to replace the shot one.