TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Power Steering problem

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2008, 1:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering problem

So, I have a recurring problem with my power steering in my 03 TB with the L6. I have replaced the power steering pump 3 or 4 times and still the pumps are dying on me [], I have also replaced the entire rack system yet still the pumps are acting up and dying. Any ideas??

[IMG]local://upfiles/20378/60BAD18EAA944A0BA87F66CB3A9AA36D.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Power Steering problem

Check out this bulletin for more info on common problems with the power steering systems

#06-02-32-013A: Diagnostic Tips/Recommendations When Power Steering Pump Replacement is Necessary - (Feb 5, 2008) [/align]
[align=left] [align=left]

Subject:
Diagnostic Tips/Recommendations When Power Steering Pump Replacement is Necessary[/align][align=left]

Models:
1997-2008 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (including Saturn)[/align][align=left]

2008 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3[/align][align=left]

2005-2008 Saab 9-7X[/align]

[hr]

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-02-32-013 (Section 06 Engine/Propulsion System).
[hr]

A recently completed analysis of returned power steering (PS) pumps that had been replaced for noise, no power assist, no or low pressure and leaking conditions has indicated a high number of "No Trouble Found" results.
Service Bulletin Number 01-02-32-004 indicates that when attempting to repair a power steering concern, the steering system analyzer should be utilized to assist the technician in a successful diagnosis. Note- Saturn ASTRA does not utilize the Power Steering System Analyzer.
In addition, extensive warranty analysis has shown that the following situations are all significant root causes of PS pump failures:[align=left]

Improper pulley installation[/align][align=left]

Re-using the O-rings[/align][align=left]

Using fluid other than the OE-specified steering fluid[/align][align=left]

Failure to flush the PS system[/align]In order to help improve customer satisfaction and reduce comebacks, GM recommends the following tips for replacing a PS pump:
[ol]Low or no pressure from the PS pump may be the results of dirty or contaminated fluid, which could cause the pressure relief valve to stop functioning. Using the proper tools, flush and bleed the PS system. Any residual contaminants will result in pump failure.
When removing the pulley, use the proper special tools. Because the pulley alignment is critical, distorting the pulley may damage bearings on the new PS pump.
Be sure to use only the new O-rings included with the PS pump. The new reservoir O-ring must be lubricated with OE-specific PS fluid prior to installation. Also make sure that the control valve O-ring is in its exact groove position and is NOT covering the pressure bypass hole.
Bleed the PS system according to the procedures/recommendations in SI. [/ol][/align][/align]
Old August 6th, 2010, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering pump

I have a 2001 chevy silverado Z71. The power steering pump went out and when replaced the pump it worked fairly well the first day or two with just a little air in the system. But now 2 weeks later it doesnt work very good. After the 2nd day i tried to turn the wheels back and forth 15 times but there wasnt enough power assist to do so. After the 8th day I lifted the front end and tried it without the weght of the front end. This didnt seem to help. Sometimes it works perfectly fine. Help please, Brian