Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tire
Print Wikipost

Anyone replaced wheel bearings yet?

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2012, 11:35 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone replaced wheel bearings yet?

Hey guys, I've read this is a pretty common issue with Uplanders and my '08 has the 6 lug wheels. Since for some insane reason, there's no print manual available, does anyone know if replacing the bearings is as easy as removing the brakes/abs sensor, rotor and unbolting the hub?

Thanks!

Jeremy
Old March 19th, 2012, 7:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My brother just changed the hubs on his '07 Montana. Changing them is pretty much as you described.
Results for Chevrolet:Uplander:2008
Old March 20th, 2012, 8:03 AM
CF Active Member

Ok thanks, you don't know offhand if the 3 hub bolts are some special torx bit or just a regular socket head do you? I've been working 10-12hr days and no energy to work on it but the passenger side is starting to roar when turning to the right so I'll have to make time to change both pretty soon...

Thanks again
Old June 17th, 2012, 1:43 AM
CF Beginner

If it is like the older models (as I suspect it is) they are either 10 or 13 mm standard bolts. A very easy operation, just did both sides on my '01.
Old June 19th, 2012, 2:00 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, the hub bolts are standard sockets. 13mm if I recall correctly, it' s been about a year or so since I did my two fronts.

Not a terribly difficult job, pounding out the one hub was the worst problem, the one side I ended up having to remove the hub nut, sprayed a ton of penetrating oil onto the shaft, stuck the nut back on and drove it a couple days to let it soak in...it wasn't budging off the CV shaft even a bit, and I was beating the tar out of it...
Old June 19th, 2012, 3:51 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, unfortunately I simply didn't have the time or energy after work to get it done so I took it to a local tire shop and paid $250 to get it done. About $50-100 more than the part itself at O'Reilly,etc depending on the brand sometimes the savings in time is worth more to me than the money....

However, I will likely replace the passenger side myself when the time comes...
Old June 22nd, 2012, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

Just did mine yesterday. Probably didn't need replacing, but there was a small amount of play in them, and they cost very little. Easy job, three 13mm bolts and the big 1 3/8 or 34 mm (both size sockets fit) center bolt.
My wife watched and she says if she needed to she could swap them herself.
Of course, I have an impact gun...
Hardest part was pulling off the brakes, which is not hard. I stuffed a soft wedge between the pads to keep from having re-compress the pads. Took about an hour to do both sides from lifting the van till dropping it back on its tires.
That's both front. Back had no play at all.
Old April 24th, 2013, 9:38 PM
CF Beginner

I just attempted to replace hub on my 2008. Hub was held on my 3 13mm bolts that came out with no problem. Hub was a little stubborn coming out of the knuckle but I managed. BUT....the splined axle was not going to come out of the hub. Tried a gear puller, lots of liquid wrench, and using the BFH by rapping on the end of the axle protected by the axle nut just proud of the axle. NOPE....still not moving. (I live in Michigan so the rust belt won). Put it back together and to a shop. He applied heat and a bigger BFH. He swung the sledge hammer with two hands like he was splitting wood. Three wacks and it was loose. He drove it out of the hub with an air hammer.
Old May 13th, 2013, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

Just replaced the two rear hubs on my wife's '07 Uplander. Both hubs were good, but I had the infamous ABS light. I figured it was one of the wheel speed sensors, but light is still on.
Done a little more research and found that most likely it's the front sensors.
Anyone else having this issue?
Old May 14th, 2013, 1:08 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe you will find a TSB for the wire cable/connector to the hubs, not the hubs themselves.

Quick Reply: Anyone replaced wheel bearings yet?