Alright guys, like many here, I've had issues with my '08 Uplander remote. It worked for a couple of months off and on even after resoldering the battery retaining clip. I tried the aluminum foil 'fix' on the underside of the keypad to no avail.
Using a method used on typical IR TV/AVR remotes, I applied a thin coat of the electrically conductive solution that can be found locally in window defogger repair kits (Advance, Autozone, Amazon, etc). You have to let the solution set for 24hrs for the solvents to evaporate before it's ready to reuse.
BTW, it works perfectly. I let the remote sit on the shelf for about 5 months until remembering to try this fix and it saved me about $130 that the dealer wanted for a new remote and program fee.
EDIT: I forgot to mention, you apply the solution with the supplied brush on the backsides of the rubber buttons. Don't over apply.
Hope this helps guys!
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
About six months ago I installed the $8 film from keylessfix.com and it still works fine. They have a lifetime warranty if it stops working...but how long their company will be around is anyone's guess. I'm curious to hear how long your defogger conductive paint repair works, since the push buttons are made of an elastic silicone rubber. Before trying the canadian-keylessfix option I had tried GC-brand circuit board copper repair paint (because that's what I had on the shelf instead of defogger repair paint) which fell off the button in a week. Before that I had glued to the buttons small aluminum foil circles which fell off in one day. On TV remotes etc sometimes one can get them working again by simply cleaning the buttons and circuit boards with an alcohol or circuit-cleaner dampened Q-tip...as long as some of the original conductive layer is still on the buttons. The problem with the GM fobs is their buttons have a ridiculously thin layer of conductive carbon to start with, which wears down with use. My wife's fob is like new and works perfectly because she seldom uses it.
Yeah it's only been about a week but still working fine. This will be a torture test since I'm in and out of this work van more than 2 dozen times a day so we'll see. With this material being commonly used for IR remotes, hopefully it's resistant to wear and tear...
Ok my unit stopped working, so first thing was to replace the battery. When that didn't help I checked the fob. To check the fob grab a portable am radio and tune it to a non station were all you get is static. Then hold the fob next to the radio and push each button on the fob. If it is working you should hear a slight chirping sound from the radio. This is also the way to check tv and other remote controllers.
Oh I tried my wife's remote and it didn't lock or unlock the doors either, so I will wait for the weather to get a little warmer and try it again. But I have this sinking feeling it's the receiver unit in the van, which means I'm hooped.
when the transmitter sends a signal the hetrodyning of the transmitter can be picked up by an am radio, if is held close. My xm remote was actting up and using the am radio I could hear a constant signal, yup one button was stuck down.Try it you will see