Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Stabilitrak malfunction

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2005, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stabilitrak malfunction

<DIV>Ipurchased a 2005 Uplander new and it now has2550 miles on it. Last week the stability control system malfunctioned rendering the vehicle undrivable. As I tried to drive forward and reached about 5 MPH the front drivers side antilock brakes wereautomatically beingactivated, while the message on the dash was showing "Stability Control Activation", bringing the vehicle to a screeching halt. I got the vehicle to a safe parking spot and call Chevroletto come get it. After the tow truck dropped off the vehicle the service guys have been not been able to duplicate the problem and there were no error codes left behind. My wife now refuses to drive the vehicle, and I can't blame her, because there is no telling when this could happen again and at what speed. If this malfunction was to occur at highway speeds the result could be fatal. Please respond to this post if you have had any similar experiences with any Chevrolet vehicle equipped with the Stabilitrak system.</DIV>
Old September 24th, 2005, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
I don't have the stability control on my Uplander, but I know that GM is having trouble with it's brakes on the Uplander and I had my disks (all 4) machined after only 6,500 miles and the service manager told me that he was at a meeting and all they talked about was Uplander brakes.</P>

What he said is that the disks are warped from thevendor and even if a Uplander sits for 30 days the brakes grab and GM's fix is to have all 4 disks turned down.</P>

</P>
Old September 24th, 2005, 6:18 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks you for your reply. I hate to here of problems like yours but you are fortunate that at least they seamed to have owned up to the problem and are fixing it. The folks at the local Chevy dealership are tell me that they can't do anything for me. I have asked to meet with a representative from GM to see if they will help me with this issue. I want GM to succeed but I can't let my family drive an unsafe vehicle. It appears to me that this is a computer bug and therefore a time bomb and since GM is on a majorcampaign to boast about the Stabilitrak system to boost sales they are really not willing to admit to any safety concerns due to this system.</P>
Old September 25th, 2005, 1:26 AM
CF Beginner

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
Call the customer Assistance Center 1-800-222-1020 and open a file on your Uplander, have your vin number and register your stabili-trac control system problem. It's the only way they get feed back. several weeks after I called was contacted by a GM employee asking how I liked my van and I told themwhat I thought of their brakes.
Old September 25th, 2005, 1:52 AM
CF Beginner

I contacted GM the first day and have a case open. I met with the General Manager and Service Manager from the dealership last Friday. I have asked to meet with the District Manager of GM next week. We will see...
Old January 24th, 2010, 8:52 AM
CF Beginner

Question Stabilitrak Malfunction

I just had exactly the same issue last night leaving a friend's house at 2am. My vehicle seemed to have a total mind of its own... I thought it was the transmission at first but realized that it was something to do with the anti skid system. I couldn't go over 10 mph and it kept slowing down and grating and clunking... Every time I put my foot on the gas the warning light for the sytem kept flashing and when I took my foot off it would quit. I did manage to get it to a mechanic's shop, parked it and left it. I will call the shop tomorrow (Monday) and see what they find... Scared me to death though.

Did you ever get an answer to your issue from anyone?
Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:05 PM
CF Junior Member

I just bought my 2008 uplander and had a similar thing i noticed it haped when i pull in to my driveway witch is real bumpy and if i hit a bump in the road ruff roads defently do it.
Old March 5th, 2010, 7:01 PM
CF Active Member

I have not noticed a similar problem on my 2009 uplander and I hope this problen will never show up. Very scary when you are in a place far away from civilisation. Is shutting off the engine or disconecting the battery fix the problem temporary?
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Britchic43
I just had exactly the same issue last night leaving a friend's house at 2am. My vehicle seemed to have a total mind of its own... I thought it was the transmission at first but realized that it was something to do with the anti skid system. I couldn't go over 10 mph and it kept slowing down and grating and clunking... Every time I put my foot on the gas the warning light for the sytem kept flashing and when I took my foot off it would quit. I did manage to get it to a mechanic's shop, parked it and left it. I will call the shop tomorrow (Monday) and see what they find... Scared me to death though.

Did you ever get an answer to your issue from anyone?
Has this problem been resolved? If so, what was the solution? I have a 2007 Suburban that won't go over 30mph ever since the stabilitrack light came on. I sure could use some good advice.
Old March 11th, 2010, 11:53 AM
CF Beginner

When I had this issue I managed to get the car to a mechanics shop and leave it over the weekend. When I went in there monday afternoon, the mechanic said that he had driven it for approx 15 miles and could not replicate the situation. He said that he put it on the computer and it showed a bad module (whatever that is) but it was not a recent finding. He told me that the only place that could do anything about it would be a Chevy dealership. I told him of my concern of travelling at any kind of speed if it kicked in again, and he seemed to think that the car would slow down gradually and was not dangerous. It hasn't happened since though, thank goodness.

Quick Reply: Stabilitrak malfunction