Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Rear Wiper on 2006 Uplander

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2009, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wiper on 2006 Uplander

I am having a problem with the rear wiper on my Uplander not working. I checked the fuse and it hasn't blown. I haven't taken the time yet to get my Voltmeter out to check for power, but I am banking on a bad wiper motor.

Anyone have a similar issue?
Old August 22nd, 2009, 1:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Yes, I did. My 2006 quit working last winter all of a sudden. It didn't give me any warning like my previous vehicle did, (1997 Venture) in that it would start slowing down and/or stop at the opposite end of it's travel across the glass.
It was replaced under warranty at the dealer. Do you live in an area that gets a lot of snow and ice? That can shorten the life of these rear wiper motors.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah, as a matter of fact I live near Buffalo. It happened just like you said. It never showed any warning signs, it just stopped working. I don't believe the van is under warranty any longer. I'll just have to eat it myself. Thanks for your response.

Nate
Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Yeah, I was rather lucky it went when it did, I had like 6 weeks left under my warranty period. You're right down the Thruway from me and I'm sure all that lake effect we get doesn't help these wiper motors do their job, ( although we in Syracuse have been beating Buffalo in the past few years in the total amount of snowfall each winter season )
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

Hello all,

I FIXED my wiper motor.

After testing all the electrical leads , checking the fuses, it turned out to be the shaft that was packed with gunk. I took the wiper motor out, hammered the Wiper shaft out, cleaned, re-lubed and good to go!!

How to:
1) Remove the Back door plastic cover
2) Remove the actual wiper from the motor
3) Remove wiper motor
4) open wiper motor (5 or 6 torx screws-you'll need torx bits)
5) Remove wiper drive part from motor
6) With a sledge and a punch (2 Gauge - 1/4" diameter nail or bigger) hammer the center of the wiper shaft out - from outside to inside. That 2 arm crank assembly will stay connected on that shaft. (Clear pictures by realBB further on this post)
7) clean and re-lube
8) put shaft center back in the wiper drive
9) do steps 1-5 in reverse order and Voila!

Cheaper than a new wiper motor.

Cheers.

(Note: That plastic ring that is attached to the latch on the van is prone to break. See realBB's post at the end to get the part #)

Last edited by patcad; December 27th, 2012 at 8:53 AM. Reason: Added steps 4-5 and 8
Old July 27th, 2011, 9:07 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for your post patcad.
Old July 28th, 2011, 11:28 PM
CF Beginner

No problem.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 5:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Patcad, In your opinion, do you think there's a way we might periodically clean and oil this rear wiper motor shaft from the outside, to prevent it from gunking and seizing up, like yours did? We're just North of Syracuse, so our Uplander '08 may get the same problem.
Old October 28th, 2012, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

How do you remove plastic from inside back door? You use some kind of flat tool? Charles yardmarx@nornet.on.ca
Old November 7th, 2012, 2:36 PM
CF Beginner

@Charles Eric Jambor: No special tools req'd, I just pried it off with big flathead screwdrivers. Just be careful not to crack it though.

Quick Reply: Rear Wiper on 2006 Uplander