Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Chevy Venture 2002 stalled because of electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2016, 12:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Venture 2002 stalled because of electrical problem

Hello,

I'm not new to this forum but this is my first time asking a question in the forum because most of the time I could find answers but this time I couldn't. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I started driving my vehicle and everything looked normal except the battery light in the dashboard was lit up while driving and it didn't go off. Then I was driving on highway my Chevy Venture 2002 minivan ( around 100km/h) and I noticed that the lights in the dashboard and panels started to slightly flicker. That didn't look normal at all and I prepared for worse scenario. And just a minute after this the lights started to dim and flicker and engine was stalling. I pulled on the right shoulder, stopped the vehicle and turned the engine off.
I tried to turn it on. The lights have gone crazy flickering, there was no cranking and the lights were slowly dimming. I stopped trying. I decided to disconnect the battery for a minute and than reconnect it. I did that and it didn't help. Still same issue. Called the towing company and after about 15-20 minutes I gave another try. IT STARTED, though the lights on the dashboard weren't still looking normal I decided to drive. The engine was running almost normal but the lights started to dim until the dashboard and headlights and every other light was OFF but the engine was still running. I managed to drive about 4-5 km. Then engine stalled. I was unsuccessful to repeat the same thing. Gave up and towed my minivan.
There was no check engine during all of this time except a warning light that I've never seen before in any vehicle ( pic. below) Any idea what this can be?
Warning light
Attached Thumbnails Chevy Venture 2002 stalled because of electrical problem-warning-light-chevy-venture.jpg  
Old November 30th, 2016, 3:29 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

It's a security issue with that light. How old is the battery, is the alternator charging consistaintly?
Old November 30th, 2016, 8:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem solved

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
It's a security issue with that light. How old is the battery, is the alternator charging consistaintly?
Thanks for your quick reply and help. I really appreciate.
In the morning the first thing I did I measured the voltage of the battery and it was fluctuating between 6-8 V. I've never seen smth like that ( voltage of a battery fluctuating). I assumed that the cells in the battery were messed up and I bought new one (the battery was old). Installed it and vrrraaam... the engine is running and everything looks normal.

Thanks again kevinpk
Old February 2nd, 2017, 10:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue. Than it repeated itself a few months later. I found some water leaking in to the passengers side under the windshield on to to fuse box and wiring that is underneath the carpet. I pulled the wiring harness tape off and some of the wires fell apart. Soldered them back in place and the battery or alternator hasn't failed on me like I assumed before. It would die after sitting 2 days. After soldering new wiring in it hasn't died as of tonight after it sat for 2 weeks.