Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Problem starting Venture '97

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2009, 1:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem starting Venture '97

My van just stop starting. It got me stalled on the road. The engine just stopped suddenly. When I tried to start it, it wont. I dont hear the Fuel Pump humming when I turned the key to ON position though the engine is cranking when tried starting it. I changed the fuel pump, fuel pump relay and fuse but with the same result. Still, I think the fuel pump is not pumping gas or doing its job.

What else could be the source of the problem why it is not starting??

HELP please!
Old August 12th, 2009, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

If your sure it is a fuel problem, check the connector under the van, behind the drivers seat they have been know to corrode causing the fuel pump not to work.
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:06 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tuffy
If your sure it is a fuel problem, check the connector under the van, behind the drivers seat they have been know to corrode causing the fuel pump not to work.
thanks for your reply.

i checked the wire harness going to the fuel pump but it looks good and not corroded. the continuity is okay when i checked it. how much voltage should i get from those wires? other than the wires and fuel pump... what are the other issues that i should check, still not starting.. i still dont hear the fuel pump humming when i turn the keys.

more help please!
Old August 25th, 2009, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

update with my problematic van...

i replaced the fuel pump again with an original chevy part because one mechanic told me to do so. but the problem was not solved. it started though for a couple of minutes but died. i noticed that the pump is intermitently pumping gas that's why the engine die after few minutes. i ruled out that the pump is not the problem, but a device that gives signal to the fuel pump to pump gas. my question now is.. what device is it?? is it the EGR or the PCM as what i saw in some forum.

this is a challenge for me.. but i need someone to HELP to pinpoint the real culprit!!.

PLEASE HELP!!!
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
CF Beginner

Hi grejohn
I'm new to this forum, and got into because I have the same problem with my Venture 97, 5 diferent mechanics have gotten their hands into the motor and the problem still remains, all of them concluded that the ECU got a failure, so went to the autoparts store and ordered one, after being installed the problem remains, so I wonder if you got yours fixed already and what was the solution to your problem, it's posible the same case I'm in front of.

thanks for any advice
Old October 12th, 2009, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Javier
Hi grejohn
I'm new to this forum, and got into because I have the same problem with my Venture 97, 5 diferent mechanics have gotten their hands into the motor and the problem still remains, all of them concluded that the ECU got a failure, so went to the autoparts store and ordered one, after being installed the problem remains, so I wonder if you got yours fixed already and what was the solution to your problem, it's posible the same case I'm in front of.

thanks for any advice
hi.. sorry for late reply.. but i sent my venture to a mechanic since I can't fix it myself. They said it's a bad ECU and they replaced it. So far it is working now. This van cost me a lot already with all the problems it brought me. I hope it will last for another 6 months after that I want to junk it already.

Now my tail light is not working... and it's a electrical wiring issue. Don't know where to trace the problem.

Hope you can fix yours.