Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Two DTCs I need help with.

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2014, 4:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two DTCs I need help with.

Hello,

Hopefully you fine people can help me out here. My mom's 2002 Venture (3.4L) has two DTCs stored, I had them read at Autozone. The first one is P0442, commonly the "I forgot to tighten the gas cap all the way," code. Now, she doesn't pump gas, period (let's not go there, please ), I do. I'm certain I always tighten it correctly but to be safe I went out and took it off and tightened it again. However, is there anything else that could cause this?

Second is P1189, something to do with the oil pressure switch it self. She hasn't mentioned anything about a stop driving now light, so I'm pretty sure it's just the switch but I'm not sure.

I'm sure these are basic questions for Chevy aficionados, but I don't know a single thing about GM vehicles, I'm a VW owner . Regardless, I'd appreciate any help in this matter.

Thank you!
Old August 1st, 2014, 8:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if you have a hard time filling the tank and an evap dtc; its possible the evap vent solenoid is nfg. the tank must vent air out this passage during refueling. If its clogged or the valve is stuck closed; no air out =no fuel in/slow filling.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
if you have a hard time filling the tank and an evap dtc; its possible the evap vent solenoid is nfg. the tank must vent air out this passage during refueling. If its clogged or the valve is stuck closed; no air out =no fuel in/slow filling.
Thank you for the response. Now that I think about it, when filling the tank I often have to search for a "sweet spot" so the overflow shutoff on the pump wont constantly kick in. However, since she's owned it, it has been a bit of a pain to put fuel in it, so maybe it's gotten worse lately but it's always functioned similarly so I just never noticed it get worse.
Old September 18th, 2014, 2:59 AM
CF Beginner

Smile Suggest tool

Originally Posted by basslover1
Hello,

Hopefully you fine people can help me out here. My mom's 2002 Venture (3.4L) has two DTCs stored, I had them read at Autozone. The first one is P0442, commonly the "I forgot to tighten the gas cap all the way," code. Now, she doesn't pump gas, period (let's not go there, please ), I do. I'm certain I always tighten it correctly but to be safe I went out and took it off and tightened it again. However, is there anything else that could cause this?

Second is P1189, something to do with the oil pressure switch it self. She hasn't mentioned anything about a stop driving now light, so I'm pretty sure it's just the switch but I'm not sure.

I'm sure these are basic questions for Chevy aficionados, but I don't know a single thing about GM vehicles, I'm a VW owner . Regardless, I'd appreciate any help in this matter.

Thank you!
What tool you use to diagnostic tools? It doesn't show you trouble codes meaning?

I have one MG T2, it can do well.