Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1994 Chevy 1500 4x4 Clunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2016, 3:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Chevy 1500 4x4 Clunking Noise

Hi i have a 94 chevy 1500 with a clunking noise. I have looked everywhere under the truck but still can not find out where it is coming from. i made a video of the noise. it happens no matter how fast or slow i am going. it is almost like the truck is trying to lock 4x4 in while i'm driving. Any Ideas or Suggestions would be greatly Appreciated. Ill post link to video Below.
Old November 11th, 2016, 2:56 AM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like the chain slipping, but odd that it would slip just cruising down the road. What does it do when you're in 4wd?
Old November 11th, 2016, 10:55 PM
CF Beginner

if it is in 4x4, could be the gear locking it to the transfer case. something electrical not keeping it in 4x4. if it is not in 4by.. then you could have something in the linkage in the transmission going bad.. this is hard to tell or to help you without taking it apart . if you can call your local transmission shop and ask them what "could " be the cause.. they may be able to tell you a little better . I hope you find your problem...but i think the shift linkage is somehow not being locked in to whatever position it should "stay" in when in drive . Is the shift lever really lose while in gear, if so.. i'd suspect more problems later down the road.. check your transmission fluid levels or case oil levels.. in the case there is a plug you can remove and stick your pinky finger in and if you bring out oil on it your level should be ok.. but when you ad gear oil...it should slowly drip out of the hole to indicate full then put your plug back in... i dont predict a big problem with this...but i'd ask the tranny shop what could be the cause. Of course they may say: bring it in we cant diagnose over the phone. Just tell them thanks if they do say that.. and let them know you're going to take it to another shop because they couldn't give you a simple answer of what they think it could be.. good luck.
kat
Old November 18th, 2016, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

When the truck is is 4x4 It Makes a Awful Grinding Sound. Today though it jumped into Neutral by itself so i went and got a transfer case. Will be installing tomorrow