Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1996 c1500 Silverado extended cab tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2019, 7:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 c1500 Silverado extended cab tranny swap

Gang, after putting in a 5 speed stick where an automatic had been living, these two hard codes, (P1864 and P1886), keep coming back after clearing the codes. How do I get the computer to quit looking for them? Should I be looking for a particular brand of flashing tool to get the computer to quit looking? Everything else concerning the swap seems to be fine - I had a donor truck to pull all the necessary clutch related pieces from. The truck drives great and besides these two hard codes, nothing seems amiss after two weeks of driving it.
Old November 7th, 2019, 1:03 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by art.gibbens
Gang, after putting in a 5 speed stick where an automatic had been living, these two hard codes, (P1864 and P1886), keep coming back after clearing the codes. How do I get the computer to quit looking for them? Should I be looking for a particular brand of flashing tool to get the computer to quit looking? Everything else concerning the swap seems to be fine - I had a donor truck to pull all the necessary clutch related pieces from. The truck drives great and besides these two hard codes, nothing seems amiss after two weeks of driving it.
My guess would be that your Chevrolet ECM was coded for the T4L60E automatic transmission, so now that it is not there the computer still searches for it. If so, you would have to find the part out of a C-1500 or similar vehicle such as a GMC, or have the ECM reprogrammed for your swap.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 7:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx OilCanHenry, but I am trying not to "invest" much more money into this driver. I'm looking for a "hack" to turn off the switch in my current ECU/ECM. After a couple of months driving it now, including a successful deer hunting trip to Northern MN pulling a tandem axle camper both ways, it has been working flawlessly. Sometimes it will crank a little long, but I suspect that is the fuel pump valve in the tank not holding pressure when it sets longer than about 15 minutes. So, does anyone know of a "hack" that will allow a user to use a diagnostic tool of some make and model that will allow a user to turn off the switch to stop these codes from reoccurring? Maybe a Linux app and a laptop/tablet dongle? (I'm running Linux Mint with a Mate front end as I type this in - yes, I'm a bit of a geek, too.) Thanx ahead of time for any more suggestions and/or cures!