Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   1988 - 1998 (GMT400) (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/1988-1998-gmt400-106/)
-   -   1997 5.7L vortec cranks but won't start (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/1988-1998-gmt400-106/1997-5-7l-vortec-cranks-but-wont-start-92120/)

Springer September 8th, 2018 10:08 PM

1997 5.7L vortec cranks but won't start

This truck cranks and won't start. It has 149,000 miles on it. I know complete history of the truck and know it has been well kept. I checked the fuel pressure and it is up at 60psi when cranking. It was showing a crankshaft position sensor code so I replaced the cps. Still nothing so then I changed the distributor, ignition coil, ignition control module, plugs and wires. The truck has sit alot the past 10 years but has been driven now and then up to a year ago when it died right down the road from the house. I bought it thinking it was a simple fix and now I already have more in it than I expected just with the parts I have bought I could have bought a used motor to replace it. Can anyone help me? Is there something I am missing?

oilcanhenry September 9th, 2018 3:35 AM

Originally Posted by Springer (Post 362350)
This truck cranks and won't start. It has 149,000 miles on it. I know complete history of the truck and know it has been well kept. I checked the fuel pressure and it is up at 60psi when cranking. It was showing a crankshaft position sensor code so I replaced the cps. Still nothing so then I changed the distributor, ignition coil, ignition control module, plugs and wires. The truck has sit alot the past 10 years but has been driven now and then up to a year ago when it died right down the road from the house. I bought it thinking it was a simple fix and now I already have more in it than I expected just with the parts I have bought I could have bought a used motor to replace it. Can anyone help me? Is there something I am missing?

Did it sit with the stock gasoline in the tank, no conditioner? Did you check for spark after all the ignition parts?

Could be a vacuum leak or injectors. I assume the oil has no water in it. Letting it sit for too long allows corrosion to occur as well.

I'd shoot some kind of fuel down the intake and see if it will start, at the least if its got spark

geo1 September 9th, 2018 7:19 AM

Check the wiring at and near crank sensor,if it died,going down the road,I would think a bad wire connection

Springer September 9th, 2018 8:42 AM

I've tried to start it with starting fluid and it doesn't change the way it turns over at all. I forgot to add that I also changed the crankshaft position sensor

geo1 September 9th, 2018 8:48 AM

Check fuses,for power in and out,2 of them I think,IGN 1 and 2, maybe more

Springer September 9th, 2018 8:55 AM

I have double checked the fuses but I will check for power. The gas tank was drained on it a few months after it broke down. I bought a cheap spark tester and checked spark at the number one plug and got no spark.

geo1 September 9th, 2018 9:00 AM

Good chance you have a bad fusable link leaving starter to pcm,fuse power check will verify

usmarine0905 January 30th, 2019 10:05 AM

@ Springer.... did you every get your truck running? What did you find was this issue,? I am having the same problem