Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1997 5.7L vortec cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2018, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 5.7L vortec cranks but won't start

This truck cranks and won't start. It has 149,000 miles on it. I know complete history of the truck and know it has been well kept. I checked the fuel pressure and it is up at 60psi when cranking. It was showing a crankshaft position sensor code so I replaced the cps. Still nothing so then I changed the distributor, ignition coil, ignition control module, plugs and wires. The truck has sit alot the past 10 years but has been driven now and then up to a year ago when it died right down the road from the house. I bought it thinking it was a simple fix and now I already have more in it than I expected just with the parts I have bought I could have bought a used motor to replace it. Can anyone help me? Is there something I am missing?
Old September 9th, 2018, 3:35 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Springer
This truck cranks and won't start. It has 149,000 miles on it. I know complete history of the truck and know it has been well kept. I checked the fuel pressure and it is up at 60psi when cranking. It was showing a crankshaft position sensor code so I replaced the cps. Still nothing so then I changed the distributor, ignition coil, ignition control module, plugs and wires. The truck has sit alot the past 10 years but has been driven now and then up to a year ago when it died right down the road from the house. I bought it thinking it was a simple fix and now I already have more in it than I expected just with the parts I have bought I could have bought a used motor to replace it. Can anyone help me? Is there something I am missing?
Did it sit with the stock gasoline in the tank, no conditioner? Did you check for spark after all the ignition parts?

Could be a vacuum leak or injectors. I assume the oil has no water in it. Letting it sit for too long allows corrosion to occur as well.

I'd shoot some kind of fuel down the intake and see if it will start, at the least if its got spark
Old September 9th, 2018, 7:19 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the wiring at and near crank sensor,if it died,going down the road,I would think a bad wire connection
Old September 9th, 2018, 8:42 AM
CF Beginner

I've tried to start it with starting fluid and it doesn't change the way it turns over at all. I forgot to add that I also changed the crankshaft position sensor
Old September 9th, 2018, 8:48 AM
CF Senior Member

Check fuses,for power in and out,2 of them I think,IGN 1 and 2, maybe more
Old September 9th, 2018, 8:55 AM
CF Beginner

I have double checked the fuses but I will check for power. The gas tank was drained on it a few months after it broke down. I bought a cheap spark tester and checked spark at the number one plug and got no spark.
Old September 9th, 2018, 9:00 AM
CF Senior Member

Good chance you have a bad fusable link leaving starter to pcm,fuse power check will verify
Old January 30th, 2019, 10:05 AM
CF Active Member

@ Springer.... did you every get your truck running? What did you find was this issue,? I am having the same problem