Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

4.3 TB on a 5.7 - loss of power?

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2019, 6:21 PM
MDG
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4.3 TB on a 5.7 - loss of power?

Hey everyone, new guy here.

So a while back I was contending with an issue with my truck (95 k1500 5.7L) where it stalled on me at the grocery store, and it would always start right up but immediately die a couple seconds later. It eventually was found to be the fuel pump, which I replaced. In the process of diagnosing this (before replacing the pump), one of the things we tried was my brother brought the throttle body/injectors/pressure regulator assembly from his 4.3 parts truck and installed it.

It seemed to run pretty good for a while but now I'm getting a lean exhaust CEL (code 44), and the truck runs really sluggishly when you get on the gas. Could the fact I have a 4.3 TB have anything to do with that? I would put the old 5.7 TB back on, but the problem is that when my brother put the 4.3 on, he didn't use a line wrench and ended up rounding off the flare nut on one of the fuel lines at the back of the TB.

I REALLY don't want to have to run new fuel line, does anyone know of a special tool or trick I could use to get it off? I'm not sure if an actual line wrench would fit anymore, and I'm hesitant to use a vicegrips that'll chew it up even further. I'm also wondering if maybe I can just cut it off and flare a new end on it, but it's a metal line and as far as I know, I don't think I can get any more slack to re-attach it at that point.

Any input is appreciated, thank you.