Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

89 k2500 silverado front differential wiring

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2019, 8:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 k2500 silverado front differential wiring

Hello, thanks for any information you can help me with. I have an 1989 k2500 Silverado. I am looking for any information that can be given or direction to information on the wiring for the front differential. Bought this truck used. I did not run so well when I first bought it. When I hooked my scanner to it to look at the data found the the o2 appeared bad (no voltage change). Replaced o2, still no fix. So I looked at the wiring. Found that the o2 wire had been spliced to the green wire that ran to the servo on the front differential. I have fixed the o2 wire problem. Now I would like to fix the front end as it is stuck engaged (have front drive shaft out). I can not locate the other end that the green wire from the servo on the front differential goes to. I have some info on the truck electrical, but that does not have any info about the 4x4 part. The lights on the floor indicator work if you engage the front so that wiring and switch appears good. Again, thanks for any help in this matter.
Old March 19th, 2019, 9:56 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

GMT400 CK Manual Project - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network
try that
Old March 19th, 2019, 10:10 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The wiring from the front diff actuator should go to the transfer case. Unplug the actuator and test for 12v at the plug. With the TC in 2hi, no power should be at the actuator. In 4hi or lo you should get power.

If that's all good and your still stuck in 4x4, then the actuator is stuck in the out position or something has broke in the clutch gear mechanism.