Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
View Poll Results: How to fix trans shifting issues
How do go about fixing
0%
What cant I test on the pcm
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

93 chev 1500 shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2020, 1:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 chev 1500 shifting issues

I have a 93 chev 1500 4x4 with a 4l60e in it, I pulled the truck 5 miles and now I dont have a speedo, brake light is on and trans wont shift past 2nd, i changed the vss at the rear of the transfer case, and tested powered at one wire that give me 3 volts, anyone know my issue
Old July 28th, 2020, 2:36 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Tessier
I have a 93 chev 1500 4x4 with a 4l60e in it, I pulled the truck 5 miles and now I dont have a speedo, brake light is on and trans wont shift past 2nd, i changed the vss at the rear of the transfer case, and tested powered at one wire that give me 3 volts, anyone know my issue
I'd suggest find the cause of the brake light, the rest may fix itself.
Old July 29th, 2020, 1:44 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
I'd suggest find the cause of the brake light, the rest may fix itself.
So maybe if I get a code reader that reads as it could be just a wheel speed sensor
Old July 29th, 2020, 3:50 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Tessier
So maybe if I get a code reader that reads as it could be just a wheel speed sensor
Perhaps, but this is OBD1, and with ABS I don't know. I'd suggest find out what triggers the brake light, go from there. Important thing is this, track one issue at a time. Good luck!
Old July 30th, 2020, 12:31 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You say you pulled it 5 miles. I assume you mean it was dead for some reason and you had to drag it home with a tow rope with tranny in neutral?
what was problem which required it to be towed?
If a bunch of unrelated failures happen at same time - eg. Brake lights and shift problem, I’d be thinking ground problems or shorts somewhere. But agree with kevinxx that best is to deal with one problem at a time and see where that leads.
Old August 2nd, 2020, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default Chev 1500 shifting issues

Originally Posted by Sabino56
You say you pulled it 5 miles. I assume you mean it was dead for some reason and you had to drag it home with a tow rope with tranny in neutral?
what was problem which required it to be towed?
If a bunch of unrelated failures happen at same time - eg. Brake lights and shift problem, I’d be thinking ground problems or shorts somewhere. But agree with kevinxx that best is to deal with one problem at a time and see where that leads.
My buddy was just pulling it to another field because he didnt have an extra hired help nothing was wrong until after he pulled it, 1st or 2nd doesnt slip at all so it must not be a tranny issue. the brake light never comes on when the truck is running but still no speedo or shifting. I checked out harness it is fine. Speed sensor is bran new with resistance on terminals. I ran jumper wires off speed sensor directly to harness that goes to vssb. There is like a "buffer wire that's wrapped around the speed sensor harness and all 3 wires are wrapped and with lume, I'm guessing that for no interference. But the speed sensor wires going into dash the buffer wire that has no coating doesnt go to anything and is bare on the end, I looked for where it may go, but no sign of any wire missing or terminal, where does this buffer wire go? Also I gave the vssb 12 volts instead of 6 just to see if that was the problem, but it didnt change a thing. Should a person change vssb? I cant see the speedo gauge notnworking not causing the tranny to shift, so could it be vssb or is that buffer wire suppose to go to ground, terminal?
Old August 3rd, 2020, 10:19 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would suggest trying to find whatever changed or failed during the tow - seems unlikely the dash wiring would be the problem - unless something just broke.
But either way, I'd chase the symptoms and try not to just replace stuff. Sometimes on old trucks with old connectors and wires you can create problems as fast as you find them messing with wiring if it's brittle/cracking.

VSSB or in a 93, I think they call it a DRAC? seems unlikely to go bad just due to a tow. There are a lot of variations, jumpers inside for different models, etc - so replacing one is not just grabbing one of the shelf. I'd leave it alone unless you can show the problem is there.

I normally would suspect what you do - if all of a sudden the speedo and shifting stops working - likely to be somewhere in sensor in tranny, DRAC, wiring.
But you also said the brake lights stopped working at same time? If so, brake lights have nothing in common with the rest except power and ground. Bad grounds or a short (check your fuses?) could cause noise everywhere. I had a problem once where RPM caused the speedo to run up. It was just a old vss/noisy speed sensor. worked but was low signal and noisy.

First I'd check codes https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/s...php?tid/273660 bad VSS signal is likely to throw a code.
2nd I'd check all your main grounds and clean them just to get that out of the way. especially the one on the coolant sensor as I think that one is ground for ECM.
Then I'd do what Kevinxx suggested - figure out why the brake light quit at same time and why, maybe you'll get lucky and find a ground or short causing issues.

The other possibility is something happened to tranny when towing. I don't know any facts or have experience but I've always heard that towing an automatic transmission can cause problems and, if towing for very long, you should disconnect drive shaft. Maybe someone who actually knows/has experience will comment on that. But given your speedo and shifting both stopped at same time, this seems less likely.