Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

98 with 5.7 vortec will not start without putting fuel in throttlebody but will run

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2016, 1:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 with 5.7 vortec will not start without putting fuel in throttlebody but will run

Im helping a friend resurrecte a 98 chevy truck that has set for 2 years. The prior owners bought a new complete motor and start the swap but has set 2 years. When we got it nothing was connect to motor but the used motor was installed and bolted to tranny. After many hours we have finally got everything (i believe) connected. At first we was getting a cam sensor error. Which I thought was the problem. We found a broke cam signal wire. We repair and now there is no engine codes. We do Hanover one. Tranny code p1860, which I have not investigated yet. I can crank the motor for 30 seconds are more and it will not try to fire. I pour a little fuel in intake and it will start and rUn till you turn it off. We have let it run for 15 mins with no issues. We have repeated this 10 times or more. You can try to start right after u turn it off, and it will not start until u pour fuel into intake. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks.
Old November 14th, 2016, 1:00 AM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What kind of fuel pressure do you have?
Old November 15th, 2016, 7:31 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fuel pressure

I did not check it since it runs perfect after it starts with manually adding fuel. it will run and drive perfect. I can check it this weekend , since the truck is an hour from my house. any other ideas ? I would like 2 have a few to track down this weekend
Old November 16th, 2016, 5:56 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

Sounds like you could have a bad check valve in the fuel pump assembly. It is letting the fuel bleed back into the tank when the pump stops. You could replace the fuel pump or add a check valve into the line from the tank to the motor. First do a pressure test while trying to start it and see how long it takes to build up the pressure.
Old November 17th, 2016, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default Reply

I will do that this weekend and report back the results