1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

98 K1500 5.7 no start.

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2022 | 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

Question 98 K1500 5.7 no start.

Hello folks. I'm new here, just bought a chevy truck a few months ago. It ran when I bought it but after the first day it wouldn't start and hasn't since. I changed plugs & wires, and air filter. It has spark. The plugs smelled like old gas and were fouled a bit. So next I bought a pressure gauge and screwed it onto the schrader value and cranked it over: Fuel pressure

My question is could this be a weak/dying pump, malfunctioning injectors, a faulty fuel regulator or? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old February 23rd, 2022 | 6:03 PM
CF Beginner

Okay, so I cleaned the mass airflow sensor, replaced the fuel pump (delphi) and the fuel filter. Charged up the battery and tried to start it up. This is a video of cranking it: Cranking engine

It makes that noise now where it didn't before. Can anybody help me?
Old March 12th, 2022 | 12:17 PM
CF Beginner

I thought maybe the sound was from the new pump making better pressure causing a faulted fuel pressure regulator to fail, causing a leak so I pulled the upper intake and replaced that with a new one. Now the sound is much worse. Fluttery noise video

What could be causing this noise?

I also did a new cap and rotor because it seemed to have weak spark, and the cap was a bit corroded. Could this also be a timing issue somehow?
Old March 12th, 2022 | 9:12 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by BubbaKeg
Hello folks. I'm new here, just bought a chevy truck a few months ago. It ran when I bought it but after the first day it wouldn't start and hasn't since. I changed plugs & wires, and air filter. It has spark. The plugs smelled like old gas and were fouled a bit. So next I bought a pressure gauge and screwed it onto the schrader value and cranked it over: Fuel pressure

My question is could this be a weak/dying pump, malfunctioning injectors, a faulty fuel regulator or? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Ive got a 1998 Chevy K-1500. Without enough fuel pressure your injectors wont work properly. I cant see your fuel pressure gauge very well but its not steady. After 24 years the fuel pump might be ready to be replaced.
Old March 12th, 2022 | 10:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Ive got a 1998 Chevy K-1500. Without enough fuel pressure your injectors wont work properly. I cant see your fuel pressure gauge very well but its not steady. After 24 years the fuel pump might be ready to be replaced.
Thank you for the reply. I replaced the fuel pump already and it improved the pressure but started making a fluttering noise around the central injector assembly. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator thinking that was the problem but the noise became worse. Tomorrow I will do another pressure test and video it better to show you. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (March 14th, 2022)
Old March 13th, 2022 | 4:44 PM
CF Active Member

get some sea foam into tank and pray!
Old March 14th, 2022 | 5:07 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by tank1949
get some sea foam into tank and pray!
I'm thinking fouled injectors myself.
Old March 14th, 2022 | 6:01 PM
CF Beginner

I'm thinking fouled injectors myself.
Alright, here's a better video;Pressure gauge and Noisy

Last edited by BubbaKeg; March 14th, 2022 at 6:03 PM.
Old March 14th, 2022 | 8:35 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by BubbaKeg
Alright, here's a better video;Pressure gauge and Noisy
Should be running a 55 PSI (58 PSI really, to 62 PS!. If you've fouled injectors it wont matter
It's one reason GM dumped the old injectors to the new style in 2000 or 2002, about the time the
5.3 liter went into production.
Old March 14th, 2022 | 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

Should be running a 55 PSI (58 PSI really, to 62 PS!. If you've fouled injectors it wont matter
It's one reason GM dumped the old injectors to the new style in 2000 or 2002, about the time the
5.3 liter went into production.
It's a brand new delphi pump, maybe a ground issue? ugh.
The injectors are upgraded to mpfi by the previous owner, does that make a difference? What do you think that sound is?

Quick Reply: 98 K1500 5.7 no start.