Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Delco D1943A Ignition Control Module Firing Order

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2017, 10:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Delco D1943A Ignition Control Module Firing Order

I just replaced a bad ICM into my 1990 C1500 5.7 liter pickup with a new Delco D1943A purchased from Rock Auto. The ICM is located inside the distributor cap. I marked the plug wires before removing and replacing the cap and rotor with new Delco parts. But after replacing the ICM and plugging in the wires onto the new cap, the firing order doesn't work. I'm thinking the ICM has a different firing order from the original. Any Ideas? Thanks!!
Old August 5th, 2017, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

A new icm will not change firing order as that is controlled by the physical position of the rotor relative to the cap. Sounds like it's time to recheck wire position.
Old August 6th, 2017, 1:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks, Rednucleus. Yeah, I thought the same thing. So I went out and spent a couple of hours tracing the plug wires. This is gonna sound crazy, but my firing order appears to be non-standard. The published spec is: 1, 8, 4, 3, 6, 5. 7, 2. Mine is: 5, 8, 4, 3, 6, 1, 7, 2. The truck purrs like a kitten at idle and when revved, but I'm going for a test drive in a couple of days and see what happens under normal driving conditions.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old August 6th, 2017, 1:16 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

Looks like you have the 1 and 5 reversed. Did you try 1, 8, 4, 3, 6, 5. 7, 2?
Old August 6th, 2017, 1:29 AM
CF Junior Member

Yeah, it ran like crap and backfired until I swapped those two plug wire positions on the distributor. The rotor, and cap can only go on one way, and I doubled checked that the cylinder 1 wire is going to the 12 o'clock position on the cap and that the cylinder 5 wire is going to the 5 o'clock position, totally opposite of standard. Like I said, crazy.

I'll keep you posted in the days ahead. Thanks for your help, you guys!!
Old August 7th, 2017, 2:27 PM
CF Junior Member

I checked this out in the light of day this morning and it turns out I traced the wires incorrectly. The firing order is factory after all.

Thanks for hanging with me, fellers, through all my late-night, bad lighting, too tired shenanigans!
Old August 7th, 2017, 2:33 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

It dosen't matter what is where on the cap, as long as you have the firing order, and plug wire to proper cylinder. In other words, instead of #1 being at the front, it can be anywhere , following the firing order.
Old August 7th, 2017, 8:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
It dosen't matter what is where on the cap, as long as you have the firing order, and plug wire to proper cylinder. In other words, instead of #1 being at the front, it can be anywhere , following the firing order.
Really?? I had no idea. I thought the distributor/rotor position dictated the contact on the cap that got the spark, or is that true only in the case of the old days before electronic ignition?
Old August 8th, 2017, 7:33 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Haner
Really?? I had no idea. I thought the distributor/rotor position dictated the contact on the cap that got the spark, or is that true only in the case of the old days before electronic ignition?
As I posted as long as you follow the firing order. #1 on tdc compresson with #1 plug wire whever on the cap with the rotor at the same location.