Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Engine installation: no start, no crank, no clicking.

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2020, 10:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine installation: no start, no crank, no clicking.

I just installed a 350 long block in my 1996 Chevy k1500 Silverado. I’m having an issue and am dumbfounded on what it could be. New battery hooked up to jumper cables, installed distributor, truck will click without serpentine but as soon as I installed the belt, one click and the engine won’t turn at all; no lights.. nothing even while hooked up. I have a new starter, checked all fuses, getting fuel, etc. I am just at a dead end. It’s like all power got pulled somewhere. I have two ground wires and they are hooked to the block. Any ideas?
Old January 25th, 2020, 7:44 AM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

Welcome from Florida. Sounds like you are not getting a good connection with the jumper cables.
Old January 25th, 2020, 7:49 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

how are you hooking up the jumper cables? are you going directly to the battery for + and - or grounding on the engine or body? it does sound like a poor connection even on your battery. check you battery ground to engine
Old January 25th, 2020, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
how are you hooking up the jumper cables? are you going directly to the battery for + and - or grounding on the engine or body? it does sound like a poor connection even on your battery. check you battery ground to engine
just hooking it up directly to the battery to charge it
Old January 25th, 2020, 1:49 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

if its a new bat then why charge it? those side post also can have a good bolt connection to the battery but poor terminal connection make sure you cant twist the cables at all to ensure theyre tight
Old January 25th, 2020, 2:44 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

if its a new bat then why charge it? those side post also can have a good bolt connection to the battery but poor terminal connection make sure you cant twist the cables at all to ensure theyre tight
I keep a 5/16" wrench in my lumina because of that. Has happened a couple times. First time left me stranded at coney islander, had to walk to O'Riellys to buy the wrench.
Old January 25th, 2020, 5:00 PM
CF Beginner

it was completely drained and I don’t have the side post batt, I have top terminals. After buying, I hooked it up, put engine on tdc, it would click without serp belt but after I put the belt on and tried turning it over, it clicked and died immediately. No lights, nothing; that’s why I put it on charge and tried turning it over and it still wouldn’t put lights on, acted as if I had no battery in it.
Old January 25th, 2020, 5:13 PM
CF Beginner

I changed the ground on the batt and got some results but now it’s just constant clicking like the starter isn’t engaging
Old January 25th, 2020, 6:51 PM
CF Monarch

What is the history with the starter, and solenoid? You didn't mention it in previous posts.
Old January 25th, 2020, 6:53 PM
CF Monarch

What is the history with the starter, and solenoid? You didn't mention it in previous posts. Woops, you did say it was a new starter, I'd still recommend looking at the starter/solenoid if all battery connections are tight.

Quick Reply: Engine installation: no start, no crank, no clicking.