Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Help! Engine faltering on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2019, 5:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! Engine faltering on acceleration

I need some advice on where to begin with this one. I have a 1992 C1500 Silverado with the 4.3 V6. When I hit the accelerator the car falters and then recovers. This problem has become gradually worse, beginning as a slight falter when the engine was up to temperature and accelerating up a hill.

The engine had a full rebuild after a blown head gasket a couple of years ago and hasn't done high mileage since then. The falter doesn't occur immediately from a cold start.

I've had some issues already:
  1. Since the rebuild I get error 43 (a problem with the knock sensor) after driving for an hour. Engine ran fine though, so I haven't done anything with this.
  2. If I screw the IAC valve in all the way the revs drop and the engine stalls when I put it in gear. It did this before the rebuild. I've changed the valve and still get the same issue. I've followed the manual to re-calibrate with no success. Engine ran fine with the valve backed out a few turns.
  3. The "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light doesn't always come on on the dashboard when you turn the key before starting the engine. If I keep turning the key on and off, it eventually comes on.
  4. The exhaust came lose from the manifold on one side recently. I've fixed this already.
I found I had some OBD codes. I got 32 - EGR valve, 43 - knock sensor and 44 - Lean exhaust. I wasn't sure how old these are or if maybe they related to the recent exhaust leak, so I disconnected the battery to reset and tried again. Engine faltered and I got no codes.

I'm in the UK, so finding a professional with experience of these vehicles isn't easy. I do a lot of wrenching myself, but usually on carb engines - my experience with the TBI set up isn't up to much.

Suggestion on where to start please!

Old January 19th, 2024, 9:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might possibly be head gasket again depends check and see if your plugs are wet.