Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Higher octane fuel

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2019, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Higher octane fuel

If I get my 98 k1500 with the L33 350 tuned for 93 octane fuel will it hurt the engine in anyway?
Old April 5th, 2019, 10:55 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

sounds like a waist of money. sounds like someone is just advancing the timing and the more advance you run the more power you can get out but then it can reach a point were it will hurt the power. unless you have other mods i wouldnt just get a tune just so you have to run higher octane.
Old April 6th, 2019, 8:34 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by zharmon
If I get my 98 k1500 with the L33 350 tuned for 93 octane fuel will it hurt the engine in anyway?
Probably not but it will hurt your wallet!
Old April 7th, 2019, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m puttin 1 1/2 inch shorty headers with 2 1/2 inch piping, no cats ,x pipe and a dual in dual out black widow race venom muffler with 3 or 3 1/2 inch tips comin out the passenger side before the back tire so I want to get it tuned for the new exhaust and get the most power but also with better gas mileage so I can still daily drive it but run good when I take it to the drag strip
Old April 8th, 2019, 1:42 AM
I'm here for the party

ive never gotten a tune for new exhaust, but i will also say this. it sounds like youll be opening up the exhaust quite a bit, this will effect your low end power and might hurt your mpgs as thats where you spend the most fuel . doesnt really sound too bad but your freeing up some higher end power but youll be sacrificing some lower end. not to mention no one get exhaust not to hear it and youll be on the pedal more
Old April 9th, 2019, 9:31 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
ive never gotten a tune for new exhaust, but i will also say this. it sounds like youll be opening up the exhaust quite a bit, this will effect your low end power and might hurt your mpgs as thats where you spend the most fuel . doesnt really sound too bad but your freeing up some higher end power but youll be sacrificing some lower end. not to mention no one get exhaust not to hear it and youll be on the pedal more
That's quite true about putting on a louder exhaust, and wasting gas to hear it. I still can't believe that lots of states allow Harley's to run with open pipes, louder then hell, but not a Honda, ect, however. Back when I was racing bikes the forst rangers would test for our decibel output. I barely made it a few times, running a 500cc dirt-rocket on wheels. Had to repack the muffler all the time to keep it just below the limit.

Speaking of bikes you ought to see how mad CA motorists get when bikes cut between lanes when its backed up, which is legal there.I guess back in the 1940's the CHP was burning up HD's sitting behind cars, so they passed that law, or at least that is what I have been told by riders. Non-riders don't know the law, and some riders have had doors opened up on them, even causing death, but then no one ever said Californian's where not stupid. Oh well, everyone is leaving that state for better ones now.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; April 9th, 2019 at 9:33 PM.
Old April 9th, 2019, 9:58 PM
I'm here for the party

lane splitting imo is stupid. it puts bike that are hard to see anyway in blind spots, if someone is driving an air cooled bike then put a fan on it or not drive them in the city lol. now if theres a lane dedicated to bike then i can understand that. but then youll have the cars/trucks that will try and use it. around here bikes can use the HOV lanes and cars still cut them off
Old April 9th, 2019, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
no one ever said Californian's where not stupid. Oh well, everyone is leaving that state for better ones now.
Old April 10th, 2019, 12:25 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
lane splitting imo is stupid. it puts bike that are hard to see anyway in blind spots, if someone is driving an air cooled bike then put a fan on it or not drive them in the city lol. now if theres a lane dedicated to bike then i can understand that. but then youll have the cars/trucks that will try and use it. around here bikes can use the HOV lanes and cars still cut them off
I don't disagree with you. Riding a street bike is inherently deadly to start with. Hit an oil slick in the rain and most riders are going down. Even when traffic is normal, a lot of car drivers don't see an M/C rider. Everyone I know who has owned or owns a road bike knows someone who died. On dirt-bikes, you mostly just break some bones.

One of my first cousins died in 2013, but he didn't have any experience riding at all, much less a packed freeway on the road. Bought himself a Harley for his 65th birthday and instead of staying off the freeways until he learned to ride well, he got caught up in some deep homebound 5 PM traffic. My aunt and uncle who were still alive then didn't talk about it but his younger brother did. I put 2 and 2 together and I think he grabbed too much front brake (the HD had dual disk brakes so lots of stopping power, and way too much for slower speeds), and he when down on the pavement.

What killed him was the transit bus following too close and ran him over, else I think he'd of been okay, maybe some road rash or busted bones or ribs. His brother isn't a rider but I am and it wasn't hard to figure out. He never should have been in traffic like that with almost no experience, but hell we all make mistakes. He wasn't lane-splitting, but maybe he should have been. I believe that lane splitting is only allowed to be 15 to 20 MPH over what the traffic is doing or you can get a citation in California, but I might be wrong about that.

Then you have your drunk drivers. Lost a friend to one of those a*****es back in 1989. Pulled right out in front of my friend, while the drunk was coming out of a bar no less.
Old April 10th, 2019, 12:37 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
LOL!!! Man is that some kind of stupid, or what? Well, I hear tell that many Americans could not even pass a citizenship test these days. Now I believe it is the truth.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances." -Text of the First Amendment exactly.

It's not just about the right to free speech, but I guess most people don't realize it, or some just wanted to get this joker off their backs, so they signed his petition anyway.