Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

K2500 6.2 D 1993 4x4 with 4160 tranny shifting rough

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2020, 12:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K2500 6.2 D 1993 4x4 with 4160 tranny shifting rough

Hi,
problem is that gear sifting is a rough event. When pressing gas pedal gently it's ok. But if some acceleration needed the word for sift is "sudden.." no softy softy just "bang" and gear is sifted (with every gear). New TPS sensor, setted roughly 0.6 V idle and 4.3 V on max. New oils in the tranny.
Old July 4th, 2020, 3:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Did the hard shifting start before or after the fluid change? What was the condition of the old fluid? Did you see any splinter size or larger particles in it? What about black, gritty material?

Is it only a hard shift if you’re already in motion or does it shift hard when you select the gear (shifting from reverse to drive, for example)?
Old July 4th, 2020, 4:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Gumby22
Did the hard shifting start before or after the fluid change? What was the condition of the old fluid? Did you see any splinter size or larger particles in it? What about black, gritty material?

Is it only a hard shift if you’re already in motion or does it shift hard when you select the gear (shifting from reverse to drive, for example)?
Hi Gumby 22,
I bought the truck roughly four months ago. First thing was that I changed all fluids and filters. The tranny pan was actually quite clean. No particles nor that sticky black stuff. Oil was dark red but didn't smell burned. So I really can't say was the problem before the oil change.

Hard shifting is when the truck is in motion. If I pull out gently from the lights it's quite ok. But harder pedal pressing makes the shifts really nasty (not healty for the tranny not joints).
I lowered the idle rpm to get the TPS on range. By lowering the idle rpm the sifting from R to D came a lot smoother.

Could it be the oil? It has Dexron III (some German brand) on it but I heard the rumours that not every oil even with correct classification will work.

Old July 5th, 2020, 8:03 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Finn MaFa
Hi Gumby 22,
I bought the truck roughly four months ago. First thing was that I changed all fluids and filters. The tranny pan was actually quite clean. No particles nor that sticky black stuff. Oil was dark red but didn't smell burned. So I really can't say was the problem before the oil change.

Hard shifting is when the truck is in motion. If I pull out gently from the lights it's quite ok. But harder pedal pressing makes the shifts really nasty (not healty for the tranny not joints).
I lowered the idle rpm to get the TPS on range. By lowering the idle rpm the sifting from R to D came a lot smoother.

Could it be the oil? It has Dexron III (some German brand) on it but I heard the rumours that not every oil even with correct classification will work.
When the hard shifts happen, are they sudden like the transmission is trying to shift normally, or is there a delay, meaning you can tell that it’s kicked out of one gear, but there’s a brief pause before it slams into the next gear?

It’s unusual that you didn’t find any debris in the pan - was the magnet clean?

It could be the oil - wouldn’t be the first time a knockoff product has been sold as the real thing - but if you decide to change it again, use Dexron VI or a quality synthetic fluid - GM recommends upgrading to Dex VI or equivalent for any trans using Dex V or earlier fluids. I’d recommend also doing a thorough flush by draining the pan (and torque converter if it has a drain plug), fill it up, go drive it, then repeat a drain and fill at least 2 more times to make sure the new fluid has fully circulated through the transmission, torque converter and cooler (if equipped).

Old July 5th, 2020, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

When the hard shifts happen, are they sudden like the transmission is trying to shift normally, or is there a delay, meaning you can tell that it’s kicked out of one gear, but there’s a brief pause before it slams into the next gear?

It’s unusual that you didn’t find any debris in the pan - was the magnet clean?

It could be the oil - wouldn’t be the first time a knockoff product has been sold as the real thing - but if you decide to change it again, use Dexron VI or a quality synthetic fluid - GM recommends upgrading to Dex VI or equivalent for any trans using Dex V or earlier fluids. I’d recommend also doing a thorough flush by draining the pan (and torque converter if it has a drain plug), fill it up, go drive it, then repeat a drain and fill at least 2 more times to make sure the new fluid has fully circulated through the transmission, torque converter and cooler (if equipped).
Hi Gumby22,
it's like it wants to shift normally. The pan magnet was quite clean like the pan it self. There was no particles that you could feel with you fingers.

There is a drain hole in the pan. After changing the oil for the first time I changed the filter. After that I've flushed the system three times. I get roughly 3.5 Litres out per flush.

Just today I was driving and even I've dropped the idle rpm down putting the lever on R or D is not a "smooth" shift..

I'll flush the system with GM Dex VI and hope for the best. Bad sifting breaks my heart...
Old July 5th, 2020, 6:39 PM
CF Veteran

Have you tried checking for codes? They can be stored even though the CEL/SES light isn’t lit.

Also, what size tires are you running? Stock size is 245-75-16
Old July 7th, 2020, 2:34 PM
CF Beginner

Have you tried checking for codes? They can be stored even though the CEL/SES light isn’t lit.

Also, what size tires are you running? Stock size is 245-75-16
Hi Gumby22,
No error codes. Tires are 275-75-16. I'll change/flush the oil latest on coming weekend.
Old July 20th, 2020, 1:09 AM
CF Beginner

Hi Gumby22,
I flushed the tranny. Did not change the oil make though. It got better, but still the same problem. I took out the battery cables for a while (resetting the "brain".. don't know it helps) Also what came in to my mind was that the TPS-sensor I bought was a after market product (not GM). I try to buy often as possible GM parts but because I was desperate I fell in for the junk..
Old July 20th, 2020, 7:38 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Finn MaFa
Hi Gumby22,
I flushed the tranny. Did not change the oil make though. It got better, but still the same problem. I took out the battery cables for a while (resetting the "brain".. don't know it helps) Also what came in to my mind was that the TPS-sensor I bought was a after market product (not GM). I try to buy often as possible GM parts but because I was desperate I fell in for the junk..
If there wasn’t any real improvement with the fluid change, this is either a hard electrical fault or an internal mechanical problem. It could be a stuck valve in the valve body too, but before you start tearing that apart, focus on the electrical.

How are your skills with a multimeter?

I wouldn’t worry about the aftermarket TPS just yet (and honestly if it’s an SMP brand sensor, it’s a quality part) - there’s plenty of other electrical components to check before you get back to that.

Also, resetting the computer only goes so far. In 1993, adaptive controls were just being introduced - there was some capability for the PCM to learn shifting and driving patterns but it’s nowhere near what they are today. Additionally, some codes only set under specific conditions, and sometimes it takes those specific conditions 2 or 3 times before the CEL is requested, so resetting the PCM could actually be preventing the code you need from showing up.

It really shouldn’t matter, but what is the engine code (8th digit of VIN)? It should be either C or J for a 6.2 - I want to make sure I’m looking at the right wiring diagram.
Old July 21st, 2020, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

If there wasn’t any real improvement with the fluid change, this is either a hard electrical fault or an internal mechanical problem. It could be a stuck valve in the valve body too, but before you start tearing that apart, focus on the electrical.

How are your skills with a multimeter?

I wouldn’t worry about the aftermarket TPS just yet (and honestly if it’s an SMP brand sensor, it’s a quality part) - there’s plenty of other electrical components to check before you get back to that.

Also, resetting the computer only goes so far. In 1993, adaptive controls were just being introduced - there was some capability for the PCM to learn shifting and driving patterns but it’s nowhere near what they are today. Additionally, some codes only set under specific conditions, and sometimes it takes those specific conditions 2 or 3 times before the CEL is requested, so resetting the PCM could actually be preventing the code you need from showing up.

It really shouldn’t matter, but what is the engine code (8th digit of VIN)? It should be either C or J for a 6.2 - I want to make sure I’m looking at the right wiring diagram.
Hi Gumby22,

Yeah, that sounds good to check the electrical system first. I've played with small blocks and rear ends but trannys are big black hole for me.

I've been using the "Fluke" during these years while working with road construction equipment.

Ok, that's good to know. It was not cheap..

I checked the codes two weeks ago again with my trusty OBD "paper clip" reader. No codes (before I disconnected the battery).

The Win code for my truck is: 2GCFK29C6P1233067.

Quick Reply: K2500 6.2 D 1993 4x4 with 4160 tranny shifting rough