Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

K2500 6.2 D 1993 4x4 with 4160 tranny shifting rough

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2020, 8:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 271 Likes on 234 Posts

So if you have experience troubleshooting equipment, I’m sure you’ll get along ok figuring this out. Below is a wiring diagram, shift schedule, and diagnostic flow chart for the VSS. Here’s how I would approach it:

1) Start with basic inspection of wiring harness, looking for damaged or chafed areas, unplug all the connectors on the transmission and transfer case to inspect for corrosion and loose terminals. This would also include inspection of the harness at the PCM (behind glove box). Repair/clean as needed.

2) Key on, engine off, verify battery voltage to pin E (pink wire from trans fuse) of the transmission connector (right rear of transmission).

3) Once the general condition of the wiring has been verified, Disconnect the PCM (unhook negative battery cables first) and perform continuity checks on each of the solenoid control circuits. I don’t know exactly what you should see (data is buried on service info, if it’s there at all), but if you check the resistance of each circuit relative to the others, that MIGHT indicate a problem with one of the solenoids. The readings will have to be interpreted accordingly, and I’ll keep trying to find some actual numbers in the mean time.

Also, note that the PCM is controlling the solenoids from the ground side only - you’ll have to run a jumper to either the trans fuse or the transmission to check the complete circuit of each solenoid.

4) Note that the flow chart states to test the VSS with the drive wheels off the ground - I wouldn’t do it that way for the simple reason that you know the hard shifts are happening under load - if the wheels are off the ground, it may not shift harshly at all and that could affect your test results. Since the PCM is located in the cabin, it shouldn’t be at all difficult to set up your meter to monitor the VSS signal ckt as you’re driving by back probing the PCM connector.

5) While driving to monitor the VSS signal, also note the shift points and see if they correspond to the chart.

Hopefully this is enough to get it figured out.

Old July 23rd, 2020, 1:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gumby22
So if you have experience troubleshooting equipment, I’m sure you’ll get along ok figuring this out. Below is a wiring diagram, shift schedule, and diagnostic flow chart for the VSS. Here’s how I would approach it:

1) Start with basic inspection of wiring harness, looking for damaged or chafed areas, unplug all the connectors on the transmission and transfer case to inspect for corrosion and loose terminals. This would also include inspection of the harness at the PCM (behind glove box). Repair/clean as needed.

2) Key on, engine off, verify battery voltage to pin E (pink wire from trans fuse) of the transmission connector (right rear of transmission).

3) Once the general condition of the wiring has been verified, Disconnect the PCM (unhook negative battery cables first) and perform continuity checks on each of the solenoid control circuits. I don’t know exactly what you should see (data is buried on service info, if it’s there at all), but if you check the resistance of each circuit relative to the others, that MIGHT indicate a problem with one of the solenoids. The readings will have to be interpreted accordingly, and I’ll keep trying to find some actual numbers in the mean time.

Also, note that the PCM is controlling the solenoids from the ground side only - you’ll have to run a jumper to either the trans fuse or the transmission to check the complete circuit of each solenoid.

4) Note that the flow chart states to test the VSS with the drive wheels off the ground - I wouldn’t do it that way for the simple reason that you know the hard shifts are happening under load - if the wheels are off the ground, it may not shift harshly at all and that could affect your test results. Since the PCM is located in the cabin, it shouldn’t be at all difficult to set up your meter to monitor the VSS signal ckt as you’re driving by back probing the PCM connector.

5) While driving to monitor the VSS signal, also note the shift points and see if they correspond to the chart.

Hi Gumby22 and Big Thanks!
I really appreciate your help. Next two weeks I'm on holiday, building up the house (I'm not allowed to repair my truck, says my wife)
I'll let you know what I find after my holiday.
Old September 28th, 2020, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K2500 6.2 D 1993 4x4 with 4160 tranny shifting rough

Originally Posted by Gumby22

Hi Gumby 22
just to let you know. Shifting is smooth like normal now. I changed the oil to GM. Also filter.

Old September 29th, 2020, 8:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 271 Likes on 234 Posts

Good to know it was that simple. The best fixes are the easy ones.
Old September 29th, 2020, 8:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default K2500 bad shifting

It is also possible to have inadequate line pressure due to a leaking boost valve, clogged EPC filter screen, failing EPC solenoid, or possibly leaky seals throughout the transmission
Old September 29th, 2020, 8:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just step on the gas lightly