Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Light pod Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2019, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Light pod Recommendations?

I have a '96 single cab short bed with the 5.7 Vortec. With the factory bumper, I have the black plastic splitter below, and two rectangle holes where the tow hooks were. I never put them back in after replacing the radiator support, and am planning on installing two rectangular LED light pods in their place. I'm overwhelmed with how many options there are, and I'm wondering if anyone has any brand preferences or experience choosing some.

The wiring and mounting should be cake, it's just choosing some dang lights is the hard part.

ALSO
I've heard of a simple wiring job involving a length of wire and a relay, where you can keep the low beams on with the brights on. What kind of draw would that put on the stock alternator? And how about low, high, and the LED lights all at once?
Old August 7th, 2019, 11:57 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by bjz2
I have a '96 single cab short bed with the 5.7 Vortec. With the factory bumper, I have the black plastic splitter below, and two rectangle holes where the tow hooks were. I never put them back in after replacing the radiator support, and am planning on installing two rectangular LED light pods in their place. I'm overwhelmed with how many options there are, and I'm wondering if anyone has any brand preferences or experience choosing some.

The wiring and mounting should be cake, it's just choosing some dang lights is the hard part.

ALSO
I've heard of a simple wiring job involving a length of wire and a relay, where you can keep the low beams on with the brights on. What kind of draw would that put on the stock alternator? And how about low, high, and the LED lights all at once?
You could install a larger alternator if need be Stock is about 105 amps, but a 160 amp can be had easily enough.