Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1998 K1500 5.7 Vortec P0302 can’t figure it out

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2018, 12:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 K1500 5.7 Vortec P0302 can’t figure it out

Well first and foremost I’d like to say Hi! I’m new to the site and I’m hoping some of you automotive genius’s are able to help me out!! So to make a long story as short as possible the truck kicked the Cylinder 2 misfire. Replaced distributor, plugs, wires, coil, updated injector setup and fuel pump. Still had the issue. So i then removed and replaced the heads when i found the cylinder 2 exhaust valve wasn’t seated. Nothing was bent or hurt it just looked like it had a heavy carbon build up. So after the reinstall of the new heads and buttoning everything back up I’m feeling pretty good about it firing up and running well. Except i have sh*t luck. Started it up and it ran better but still missing and it’s still cylinder 2. At this point i guess I’m checking wiring, pcm and maybe the cam? I’m kind of at a loss and i greatly appreciate any feedback
Old October 7th, 2018, 7:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So for cam, valve cover off,watch rocker movement,measure height with others,and how about a compression test
Old October 7th, 2018, 9:54 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by geo1
So for cam, valve cover off,watch rocker movement,measure height with others,and how about a compression test
Great Ideas! Compression test is a must, but be sure shrader valve is good on tester. I almost pulled head one time because shrader valve was sticking open and giving me false readings. But before compression test buy u some good insulated gloves and pull plug wires from distributor (one at a time) and notice if RPMs change. I have poor hearing so I have to monitor tack. This should tell you exactly which piston is not firing. If u have already performed this test, run compression and pray u don't have bad rings or a bad ring. At least u can isolate exactly which piston/cylinder is acting up. Having valve cover off will also show if lifter/rods are OK. I had an Pontiac rocker arm stud break one time. What a pain...