Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Need a pic of Fuel Cap and retainer installed

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2023, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a pic of Fuel Cap and retainer installed

Hi, guys. Need to replace my original fuel cap and retainer. Had tank removed a while back and didn't notice that when they reinstalled it they didn't install the fuel cap retainer properly. There are three bolts that hold the next to the bed and one of them also doubles as the bolt that hold the retainer in place. Problem is, which one? The guys who worked on my truck didn't bother to put it back in connected to any of them. The cap is bad and needs to be replaced. I have a new AC cap with original style retainer but no matter which way I orient it, the retainer seems to get in the way when I go to fill up.

Does anyone have a pic of their original fuel door that shows the retainer in place? 1998 Silverado Z71 extended cab. Thanks.
Bill

Old September 26th, 2023, 12:15 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Pecosbill7
Hi, guys. Need to replace my original fuel cap and retainer. Had tank removed a while back and didn't notice that when they reinstalled it they didn't install the fuel cap retainer properly. There are three bolts that hold the next to the bed and one of them also doubles as the bolt that hold the retainer in place. Problem is, which one? The guys who worked on my truck didn't bother to put it back in connected to any of them. The cap is bad and needs to be replaced. I have a new AC cap with original style retainer but no matter which way I orient it, the retainer seems to get in the way when I go to fill up.

Does anyone have a pic of their original fuel door that shows the retainer in place? 1998 Silverado Z71 extended cab. Thanks.
Bill
The retainer is just for looks IMO. As long as the cap seals vapor, that's all that matters. My 98 K-1500 Chevy didn't have one. I have a locking fuel cap on my Chevy. People can throw salt, water, coolant, or anything down your gas tank and cost you lots of money. If I saw them do it they'd get some lead poisoning.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; September 26th, 2023 at 12:17 AM.
Old September 27th, 2023, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The retainer has kept me from leaving my gas cap at the service station several times. Plus when you unscrew it in order to fill up you don't have to find a place to put it as it just hangs from the retainer.

Does anyone have a pic of their original?
Old September 30th, 2023, 3:05 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Pecosbill7
The retainer has kept me from leaving my gas cap at the service station several times. Plus when you unscrew it in order to fill up you don't have to find a place to put it as it just hangs from the retainer.

Does anyone have a pic of their original?
On some Chevy's you can place the fuel cap on the gas tank door.