Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

No-Start 1500 '96 Van

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2019, 11:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No-Start 1500 '96 Van

We've all heard that no good deed goes unpunished. So here I am. Subject is a no-start 96 Chevy van w/5.7L auto. Doing a favor for someone on this vehicle. I was looking for a trigger wire for a relay and managed to short a heavy white (untraced) wire under the column that had an old, uncovered male spade sticking out. Looks to be a 10-12ga. It blew the 40A ignition fuse in the under-hood box and a 20A interior fuse inside the vehicle. At this point I had NO crank, NO dash, NO start. I replaced the fuses and got back Dash and Crank. But I am stuck with a no-start. I have fuel pump and pressure (this is what started the whole mess). I have 5v reference across all sensors. I have power to coil. I replaced the original coil just to be safe, no start. I have an odd thing, however. When my scan tool ( a good one, updated) is plugged in, I get a "no communication" notice. If I jump the fuel pump so it runs, I get communication and no codes. I know there is a known situation where a failed oil sensor can cause a key-off continuous run of the fuel pump. The sensor was replaced previously, but fuel pump continued to run. I pulled the fuse and put a keyed relay across the fuse box terminal and that turned the fuel pump off and got it working with the key. My last thought is a toasted Ignition module near the coil. Replacing that today. If I can't fix it, I bought it. I have 4+ hours and $80 into it. I really should never have touched a truck that had been so hacked up. Tried to do a good thing for someone who couldn't afford a proper repair of the always-on fuel pump, so I did a work-around to keep her going and ended up with this.

Truck ran well using a switch to turn fuel pump on/off.

-Shorted a heavy 10-12 white wire under column

-Lost Dash, Crank, Run

-Checked all fuses (3x). Replaced 2. 40A underhood IGN and 20A interior box Dash fuse

-Got Dash and Crank back

-Have Fuel

-Have 12V at all fuses and 5V to all sensors.

-Still have no Run

What else is on that White wire that is also involved in the IGN circuit? If you could also respond to my e-mail? Bikefixr@aol.com