Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Oxygen sensor code

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2019, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oxygen sensor code

Hello guys,

I am having two error codes on my 1996 Chevy K1500 6 cylinder vortex 4.3L manual, regarding oxygen sensors. This truck had the engine recently replaced and I am trying to navigate these details so I can get it back on the road.

P0141 Oxygen Sensor Heater circuit bank 1, sensor 2
P0155 Oxygen sensor heater circuit bank 2 sensor 1

The truck has 4 oxygen sensors as far as I can see, one on the driver side, one on the passenger side, one right before the catalytic converter and one after the converter. Could you guys help me determine which ones are the two calling for the code?

Also, I know sometimes oxygen sensor codes can be generated from a faulty vacuum hose, I have a hose with a screw on it, so I was wondering if you guys could tell me where that hose goes to. Also, maybe I should also consider replacing all my vacuum lines? does any of you have a good diagram that I can follow to replace my vacuum lines?

Thank you!

This is the vacuum line that I cannot figure out where does it go!
Old September 29th, 2019, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the fault is with the heater circuit so check the 02 sensor heater fuses first. if ok...check for broken wires at the 02 sensor.

bank 1 is the bank with the most forward cylinder head and will have cylinder 1 on it.
sensor 1 is the sensor before the cat...sensor 2 is the sensor after the cat

so the fault is with bank 1 rear sensor and bank 2 front sensor
Old September 29th, 2019, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you tech2,

It seems that there is only one 20 amp fuse for all heater Oxygen sensors, and it seems ok, but I also checked the wiring, and I do have 12 volts through one of the wires on both problematic sensors, while the engine key is in the on position. (the wires are away from the exhaust and they seem fine) so I am still wondering if there is any change that this problem could be related to a vacuum line leak or do I really have 2 damaged oxygen sensors...?

The B2S1 sensor has a different electric plug than the B1S2 sensor... I am guessing that is the norm.

Just to make sure I am working with the proper sensors here is a diagram

Am I working with the correct sensors?
Old September 29th, 2019, 9:43 PM
Super Moderator

the code description you have written says heater circuit...so this has nothing to do with the exhaust stream...its a sensor or wiring fault.
Old November 26th, 2019, 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

Hello guys,

I am still working on this problem and I am kind of stuck, so I was hoping I could get some advice. Everything started with error codes P0141 Oxygen Sensor Heater circuit bank 1, sensor 2 P0155 Oxygen sensor heater circuit bank 2 sensor 1. I replaced both sensors, now I have error code P0141 back, and error code P1441 Evaporative Emission Control System Continous Open Purge Flow. I am just surprised that the P1441 is a new error after I replaced both faulty sensors, so I am wondering if the new error had anything to do with the oxygen sensor error. When I first drive the truck, when I am in second gear at about 1800rpm the truck will start shaking, like there is no power, and I am forced to go into 3rd, and the moment the truck reaches 30 MPH it will start shaking again, and I have no choice but to shift to 4th. The problem is if this is a hill because the truck is having a hard time going up a hill on 4th at 35 MPH.

The catalytic converter is about 6 months old, the muffler is old, but to me, it does not seem loud. I now have a scanner for lifestreaming, but I am not sure what should I check that could help me solve the truck problems.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated,

Steven
Old November 26th, 2019, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

the evap code is not related to the 02 sensor code
for the evap code...check the purge valve. key off, remove the vacuum hose and attempt to blow thru the purge valve. if air passes; its no good.