Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Single click no start

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2024, 1:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Single click no start

A single click when I turn the key over could be caused by a number of failing parts, right? So while having a friend hold the key in the crank position, I got under the truck (93 c1500 w/t 4.3 5 speed) and tapped on the starter housing. At first contact the she cranked right up. Because I don't fully understand the mechanics of how **** works, i need to ask; does that automatically point towards starter replacement? Or could it still be something else? Thank you for any feedback. Ron.
Old September 1st, 2024, 2:40 PM
CF Monarch

Received 361 Likes on 342 Posts

Welcome from Florida. Does it do this every time you turn the key or only sometimes? The signs point to the starter. Might just need a good cleaning and new brushes.
Old September 1st, 2024, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Welcome from Florida. Does it do this every time you turn the key or only sometimes? The signs point to the starter. Might just need a good cleaning and new brushes.
​​​​​​No, it isn't every time. It's only when I have forgotten to take my jump box with me. Lol. I always try the key first and sometimes she fires right up. I have removed the starter to change out the positive cable from the battery. Cleaned and tightened everything then.
Old September 3rd, 2024, 10:16 AM
CF Active Member

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

When beating on the starter causes it to start, that usually indicates to a sticking (and failing) starter solenoid. This happened recently to my 1996 C1500, and I pulled the starter, took it to Autozone, where the kids behind the counter struggled to hook it to their tester, and then proclaimed that the starter was good. I watched them and felt they had bypassed the solenoid when they connected it to their machine, so insisted on a new starter anyway. 10 minutes after I got home, I slid up under there, bolted on the new starter, and the truck has been starting every time I turn the key.
Old September 3rd, 2024, 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jfmorris
When beating on the starter causes it to start, that usually indicates to a sticking (and failing) starter solenoid. This happened recently to my 1996 C1500, and I pulled the starter, took it to Autozone, where the kids behind the counter struggled to hook it to their tester, and then proclaimed that the starter was good. I watched them and felt they had bypassed the solenoid when they connected it to their machine, so insisted on a new starter anyway. 10 minutes after I got home, I slid up under there, bolted on the new starter, and the truck has been starting every time I turn the key.
Awesome! Thank you for that. I ordered a new starter and once it gets here, I will swap it out, and let you guys know the out come. Thanks again. Ron.
Old September 3rd, 2024, 1:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 222 Likes on 196 Posts

Get a new starter & solenoid, or take the old one in for a good rebuild
Old September 5th, 2024, 2:27 AM
CF Beginner

Ok, the starter arrived and I installed it this morning. I have been running around all day, and my best guess is 12 to 15 starts so far with absolutely no hesitations. Its a huge relief to be able to just turn the key, when I have gone over a month always having to bring my jump box along for the ride. Tomorrow, I will leave it home. Ahhh. Thanks again for your help. Would love to return the favor, but you guys know it all already, right? Lol. Really, thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by Rockinronaldo2w:
jfmorris (September 5th, 2024), Rednucleus (September 5th, 2024)
Old September 5th, 2024, 9:09 AM
CF Active Member

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Glad to hear the new starter fixed it! Good luck going forward!

Oh - a couple of months after I had to replace my starter on the 96 this year, the battery was shot and would not hold a charge for more than a week if I didn't crank it and drive around. Now, in my case, the battery was 7 years old, so I blame it on age more than the starter going bad... I just tossed the battery in the other truck and ran and picked up a new one.
Old Today, 5:13 AM
CF Beginner

So, the truck started for about two full days. And then disaster struck! A beautiful blonde friend of mine called me up and asked if I could give her a jump start. I said that I was on my way, and parked next to her car when I got there. Turned my truck off, hooked up the cables, and then fired mine up first. She turned her key and boom! I am a friggen hero, right? Well maybe so, but when I turned my engine off to unhook the cables, I thought nothing if it. She drove off l, leaving me to do the same. Well now, I don't even get a single click when I turn the key. At least at the beginning of this thread, I at least had a single click to look forward to, right? So, the new symptoms are:
1) no nothing when turning the key.
2) wont push start, or jump start either.
3) i think is uas something to do with the power block on the passenger side firewall in engine compartment. I realize that may not be a symptom, but its acting like it has before. But in the past, I could wiggle something or re connect something. Or find a fuse that blew. I always could tell when I had it fixed, cuz I purposely left the headlights switched on. That way the courtesy beep would chime out loud as soon as I stumbled onto the faulty wire or connection. But tonight, I could not locate an obvious issue, and once again could use some help. It sure seems that when I jumped her car, it caused this issue. Don't understand it. I'm sure that someone here does, right? Help?
Old Today, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 222 Likes on 196 Posts

So are you totally "electriclly dead"? - no lights on dash, no headlights, no power anywehre, or just a dead starter circuit?

Last edited by Rednucleus; Today at 12:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Single click no start