Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Surging/Loss of Power 5.7

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2018, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surging/Loss of Power 5.7

Hey guys so the problem I'm having I've found is a common one with the spider injector 350 but, no one seems to have this EXACT issue.
Started working on the truck for a friend a while back(1996 Chevy K1500 5.7 w/ 4L60E), it wouldn't crank checked the codes first, had a crank sensor code, swapped sensor truck fired right up and ran fine. He drove it for about 2 weeks and it died on him going down the interstate. He got it towed and had another friend help him out. They swapped the fuel pump and filter, distributor cap, button, and plugs. Then it ran but ran rough and would get over 2200 rpm. Got it home saw the wires arcing off the headers and changed the wires. This fixed the idle but it still won't accelerate over 2200-2500rpm. No misfire codes.
He brought the truck back to me and I put my scanner back on it. Found that the cam sensor was throwing a code and it showed cam/crank position correlation fault. Swapped the cam sensor and this fixed the code but not the original problem. I finally test drove the truck and it accelerates GREAT, throw you back in the seat great, but won't make it over 2500rpm. It sputters and chokes like it's running out of fuel. It gets worse as it gets hot, to the point it will shut down if you stomp it and let out real hard. I've checked voltage on the TPS, IAT, and swapped the MAP, no change. There are no cats on the truck. The only thing I haven't done is opened the top plenum that's my next step.
If anybody has any more insight that would be great. I have a feeling the problem won't be under the plenum. It just can't be that easy. Also, I have a '97 GMC K1500 with a 5.7 spider injector does anyone know if the ECUs will swap over without reprogramming? My scanner isn't that nice. The numbers between the 2 don't match up so I'm a little wary.
Thanks

Last edited by mikeu_sc; December 2nd, 2018 at 4:22 PM.