Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Tow Vehicle input wanted

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2015, 7:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing some more research,
2009 1500 ext cab 5.3 3.73 2wd, 9700Lbs towing
2009 2500 HD ext cab 6.0 3.73 2wd 10200Lbs towing
a lot of extra truck for 500 Lbs more trailer
Old December 10th, 2015, 9:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

hook up the trailer and drive. that is when you will see the difference. don't even think the 500lbs on paper makes it close in any sense.

2500's are better built. Then handle much more abuse and the parts are much beefier. I know, I fix them everyday. there is no comparison. Ask any 2500 owner who tows; if they would ever go back to a 1500

to bad you couldn't rent one for a test trial trip.
Old December 11th, 2015, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

I'm sure that there would be a huge difference in the feel when driving, And would jump in a heartbeat If we had a 5th wheel. Being we have managed only 9000 miles on it in 2 1/2 years with about 1/4 of that towing. Makes it hard to go head over heals for 3x the truck we need....But be assured I will keep an eye out for a deal....
Old December 11th, 2015, 7:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

I certainly understand not wanting to pay out for a limited use vehicle.

I went the other way; from a 06 2500hd 6.0L 4x4 extend cab long box 4.11 rear end; down to a 05 ram 1500 hemi 4x4 crew cab short box....still further down to my present 00 1500 4x4 4.8L extended cab short box.
the 4.8 can't tow much but gets 24mpg imperial gallon hwy. the hemi powertrain was great but the suspension package held it back towing. the hemi was better when not towing but the 6L was incredible. Now I'm back looking for a 2500 hemi or 6L
Old December 16th, 2015, 2:08 PM
CF Active Member

I never found a suitable towing thread so I decided to post this here.

Is this normal with a stock z06 Vette? It's a towing contest for those who don't want to open the link, where a Mustang "fights" a Corvette. The Mustang does win, which is OK, but it was very close...

Check Out This Pull-Off Battle! CHEVY CORVETTE C5 Z06 VS FORD MUSTANG GT, TUG OF WAR! | Muscle Cars Zone!
Old December 24th, 2015, 1:41 PM
CF Beginner

I had a similar situation. '02 ext. cab 1500, standard bed, 5.3, 4l60E, w/tow package. K&N intake. Only 60K miles.
We had a camper trailer in the same weight range as yours (26' overall, lightweight). Well within the official weight rating limitations of the truck. In anticipation of towing the new rig, I had the rear suspension modified by a local spring shop to increase tow and haul ability, while maintaining a nice ride when unloaded. Based on the tow ratings, I wasn't too concerned with the truck's drive train ability to pull the trailer.
Towing on flat was great. Mild mountain roads presented no issue with the suspension, but the engine did occasionally labor a little. Severe grades (7K'-9K') proved to be a real issue. The four speed trans just didn't have the range to help the engine manage the inclines. That forced me to go very slow to avoid constant shifting. The engine was still working hard. My buddy has an '07 Denali with the big block and the six speed. He does a little better on the grades, but his is still working hard and sucking lots of gas.

I was in the same dilemma you find yourself in. Continue to overtax the truck, or cut bait and look for something else. Plus, I was clearly at the limit of the trucks trailer pulling capacity, regardless of ratings. The truck has exceptionally low miles, and is cherry, and I didn't want to ruin the resale by having a serious mechanical issue due to towing the trailer.

My wife solved my problem by deciding that we need more room in the RV. So, out with the tag-a-long and in with the 5th wheel. Wife wants bigger RV....husband gets bigger truck! I did hours of research and decided I wanted an '06-'07 2500HD Duramax. I had to look for a long time, but finally I found an '06 2500HD ext. cab, 4wd, Duramax/Allison with under 90K miles. It's my first diesel, although several friends we camp with have them and love them. The truck is a beast. Drives nice, good mileage, and no towing issues, regardless of what I'm pulling. The engine/trans braking is a great feature when driving/pulling in the mountains.

Bottom line.... it's important to feel comfortable and safe when towing. The pull vehicle needs to have the proper suspension, and engine/trans combo to handle any situation. More power and tow capacity than the anticipated load and terrain makes for a much lower stress and higher enjoyment ride.

Good luck with your search.