Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1996 Chevy silverado 2500 running rich, sluggish accel., runs rough maintaining 55+

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2018, 3:51 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Chevy silverado 2500 running rich, sluggish accel., runs rough maintaining 55+

engine is 5.7 Vortec, currently at 196K miles. purchased 1 1/2 years ago, and has always run rough maintaining higher speeds, replaced fuel filter, plugs & wires, air filter upon purchase. this did not fix the problem, but i dealt with it, as it had just been a nuisance. from driving it this long, i've learned that it runs better at high speeds when it is cold out, the colder the better. the past few months, check engine light started coming on, code was for Mass Air Flow sensor. after changing that (as well as extensively cleaning the hose connecting the MAF to the intake), check engine light turned off for about a day, now codes are saying it's running rich, and a new problem has developed: sluggish acceleration from standing start. only happens in 1st gear, after that, acceleration is smooth until i need to maintain higher speeds, which it still runs rough. I have been told the rough running may be due to my exhaust (glasspack) but i'm skeptical. also worried that every thing i fix will result in more issues, because that's my luck. any suggestions are appreciated.