Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Window weather strip install

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2020, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window weather strip install

Changing out my original window weather strip on my 1993 C1500 and need some advice. Do you have to remove the mirror or does this piece just lay in the channel? The replacement piece is long enough to go behind the mirror but not sure how to remove the mirror mounting plate if necessary, thanks.
Old September 28th, 2020, 6:31 PM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes I think it does. To loosen or remove the mirror, on the inside there is triangle piece of trim right behind the mirror, grab hold and pull it straight out, hopefully not breaking the replaceable plastic clip or "christmas tree" that holds it on. You may have to remove the inner door panel too, been a while and I'm not sure. Anyway once you have that off there is a piece of black/gray foam filling a hole there, pull it out. Behind it you will see three 10mm nuts that hold the mirror on, loosen them a bit and you should be able to change the weatherstrip. BTW where did you buy new strips?
Old September 28th, 2020, 10:23 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Little Bear
Yes I think it does. To loosen or remove the mirror, on the inside there is triangle piece of trim right behind the mirror, grab hold and pull it straight out, hopefully not breaking the replaceable plastic clip or "christmas tree" that holds it on. You may have to remove the inner door panel too, been a while and I'm not sure. Anyway once you have that off there is a piece of black/gray foam filling a hole there, pull it out. Behind it you will see three 10mm nuts that hold the mirror on, loosen them a bit and you should be able to change the weatherstrip. BTW where did you buy new strips?
Thanks for the scoop. RockAuto had them and you can buy just one or more if you need.
Old September 28th, 2020, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

Great question - just checked my 93 Suburban & surprised to see it goes under the mirror trim. When I roll the window down, I can easily slide the trim strip back & forth; and am confident I could slide a new one in w/o having to remove the mirror. I want to replace these as well.
Old September 29th, 2020, 8:28 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
Great question - just checked my 93 Suburban & surprised to see it goes under the mirror trim. When I roll the window down, I can easily slide the trim strip back & forth; and am confident I could slide a new one in w/o having to remove the mirror. I want to replace these as well.
Thanks, I'll check mine again today with the window down. Don't really want to get into a whole door dismantling for a piece of rubber.
Old September 29th, 2020, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Little Bear
BTW where did you buy new strips?
Correction on the source for the weather

strips.
Old October 1st, 2020, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
I pulled my strip out yesterday with no problem. Roll window all the way down and pull real good at a 45 degree angle an it slides out. I sprayed the area hidden behind the mirror with some silicone spray and it came out. New one slides in rather easy so I might as well replace the driver side too.
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (October 1st, 2020)