Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Wiper Issues, Bad Control Module?

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2020, 6:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Wiper Issues, Bad Control Module?

I've noticed the wiper arms don't appear to sit in the correct position, or return to the same position. The wipers also don't always actuate when I turn them on, and when they do work the path seems erratic. The passenger arm will hit the plastic cowl and the driver's arm will have the top inch or two of the blade extend past the windshield. I figured the linkage bushings were worn out and replaced them, but the issue still persists. Could this be a wiper control module issue, a motor issue, or a combination of issues? I replaced the wiper control module on my '98 Tahoe because the wipers intermittently worked, but never had the erratic motion.
Old June 13th, 2020, 12:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Check the back of your pulse board for cracks in the soldering. If it looks like this it's probably your pulse board.

you could resolder it but I think it's a cheap part.

The following users liked this post:
Chris94 (June 13th, 2020)
Old June 13th, 2020, 12:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks! I'll pull it and see how it looks.
Old June 22nd, 2020, 5:11 AM
CF Junior Member

The pulse board was bad, no apparent cracks in the solder, but one of the contact pads was ground down to almost nothing. Do these have a seal between the housing and cover? There wasn't one when I pulled mine, and the inside was noticeably dusty. I had forgotten I pulled one of these from a junk yard a few years ago and had it in a box, tossed that one in and the wipers work, and the motion isn't erratic anymore. The driver's wiper arm still extends past the windshield, so I attempted to adjust the linkage arm, but it's already maxed out. The linkage arms definitely felt like they had excess play at the wiper motor, so I'll replace everything at some point. The wipers work, so I'm not overly concerned.
Old June 22nd, 2020, 5:38 AM
CF Junior Member

there is no seal between it.
Chris94 (June 22nd, 2020)
Old June 22nd, 2020, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The control module was a recall about 20 years ago. Funny, I had a 92 Silverado and it met every criteria for the recall, but when I called they said my truck wasn't part of the recall. So I had to spring for the new module.

Chris94 (June 22nd, 2020)
Old June 22nd, 2020, 6:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks y'all. While driving in the rain today I paid closer attention to the wiper arm movement. My wiper blades swing down a good 1-2 inches, then up across the windshield. I'm wondering if this board is defective too.
Old June 25th, 2020, 12:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris94
Thanks y'all. While driving in the rain today I paid closer attention to the wiper arm movement. My wiper blades swing down a good 1-2 inches, then up across the windshield. I'm wondering if this board is defective too.
You mean from the off position, they move down before moving up; or they stop below the windshield when you turn them off?

If they’re stopping below the windshield, remove the arms from the linkage and re-align them in the correct stopped position.

Old June 25th, 2020, 5:05 PM
CF Junior Member

From the off position, they move down before moving up.
Old June 25th, 2020, 5:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Well I assume the windshield wiper motor is just a round disc with a hookup point on it. So if it goes down first then it hasn't finished it's rotation and something is not aligned correct. Sounds like you just need to do a good calibration.

no idea if this works for your model but maybe it helps

Quick Reply: Wiper Issues, Bad Control Module?