Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

05’ Silverado Makes Loud Grinding Noise When Accelerating From Stops?

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2020, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05’ Silverado Makes Loud Grinding Noise When Accelerating From Stops?

Owned this truck 2 days and already issues. Truck just rolled 162k, 0 rust. 5.3 motor. Anyways, when I was test driving the truck I drove it 50+ miles around town and down the interstate at about 75mph to really give it a solid run and it ran perfectly fine, no leaks, noises, etc. I go to drive it today and noticed a loud grinding noise (coming from up front somewhere, rolled window down and its very audible) when mashing the gas from a dead stop (like at a light) up until I get up to a decent speed. Driving it at speed limit and such it does fine.

Im curious if anyone else has had this issue or heard of it to maybe steer me in the right direction? Im pretty bummed as this is my “new truck” for a while and I want it to be a reliable vehicle.

I havent got around to it but I do plan on getting an oil change (unknown when it was last done) and maybe a tranny fluid change.
Old January 29th, 2020, 8:24 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

4x4 or 4x2? I would suspect a bad bearing. Does the grinding noise get louder or more noticeable when turning?
Old January 29th, 2020, 11:42 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Doug D
4x4 or 4x2? I would suspect a bad bearing. Does the grinding noise get louder or more noticeable when turning?
2wd. It does it when you barely press the pedal to go. You can feel it in the pedal as well. Like ease into the gas up until around 20-30mph. Power steering was a little low so i topped it off to check that out. If you ride in the passenger seat it sounds like it right in front of you up front somewhere. Its almost sounds like a when a electric fan gets stuck and makes that awful “locked up” sound (if you can invision that noise lol). I would post a sound clip but it wont let me from my phone... other than that noise every now an then, truck runs drives amazing.
Old January 29th, 2020, 3:26 PM
CF Active Member

As I indicated previously I would check the front bearings in the hub(s). Bearings typically growl/grind when they wear out. And they make more noise when turning. If you have a bad RF bearing a right turn may make it louder and it may make no noise at all when turning left.

I'll add that sound can do funny things. If the front bearings are okay, it could be bearings in the rear (hub or pinion or carrier). Do you feel the grinding through the steering wheel or from the seat? In my experience if it comes from the front you feel it in the steering wheel and if it comes from the rear, one tends to feel it in the seat.
Old January 29th, 2020, 5:15 PM
CF Beginner

As I indicated previously I would check the front bearings in the hub(s). Bearings typically growl/grind when they wear out. And they make more noise when turning. If you have a bad RF bearing a right turn may make it louder and it may make no noise at all when turning left.

I'll add that sound can do funny things. If the front bearings are okay, it could be bearings in the rear (hub or pinion or carrier). Do you feel the grinding through the steering wheel or from the seat? In my experience if it comes from the front you feel it in the steering wheel and if it comes from the rear, one tends to feel it in the seat.
no feeling in the seat or wheel. Doesnt pop or “thud” like a bad wheel bearing would. I ended up driving it around today and it sounds almost like maybe a heat shield somewhere is vibrating at lower speeds or when you blip the throttle multiple times as its a buzzing/grinding sound from the passenger side up front somewhere. If you are just cruising it wont do it.

I may just take it to a shop tomorrow as I have no tools to fix anything really. Im just looking for some insight so that if it is something simple i can try to get tools to fix it...
Old January 30th, 2020, 9:58 AM
CF Active Member

I suppose it could be a heat shield vibrating at just the right frequency vibration. Certainly wouldn't hurt to check.
Old January 30th, 2020, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

I suppose it could be a heat shield vibrating at just the right frequency vibration. Certainly wouldn't hurt to check.
im thinking the same thing. I ended up taking it to a shop this morning and having them drive it around. They couldnt hear anything after 2 test drives with it. It sounds exactly like metal on metal buzzing sound. It does it on an off every few seconds. Sometimes it wont do it at all for a few minutes. Im very lost as to what it could be. Truck drives awesome, etc but that noise its just driving me crazy hearing it all the time...

i got a video of it as well now. You can faintly hear it if you turn volume maxed out.

Last edited by Snake17; January 30th, 2020 at 5:56 PM.
Old January 30th, 2020, 8:10 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

could be a u-joint also but they generally squeak but they can grind if theyre really bad
The following users liked this post:
ScottyV (February 18th, 2020)
Old February 5th, 2020, 8:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so I have a 2011 Tahoe LTZ 2WD and we are getting a very loud clunk/thumping noise when accelerating hard from a complete stop. It has only happened 3 times over the last 2 days and with my bf driving, not me. As the passenger I can say it felt like the truck was lurching and it sounded almost as if the tire had popped. Definitely does not happen ever when turning either way. Everything else I'm reading, including on here, is saying its a dry slip yoke that needs lubricated. Or to check the U-joint. But I had a coworker tell me it sounds like broken sway bar links. I have no idea.. will be taking it to a mechanic but just thought I'd throw that in here... thoughts please
Old February 5th, 2020, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

that happened to me, one of the bolts holding the brake caliper came off and the whole caliper would flip up grinding on the aluminum, wheel, I found the issue when it jamed and locked up the tire, could back up no problem, but forward tire would not roll

Quick Reply: 05’ Silverado Makes Loud Grinding Noise When Accelerating From Stops?