Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   1999 - 2006 (GMT800) (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/1999-2006-gmt800-108/)
-   -   05 Silverado Drivers Side Heater Problem (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/1999-2006-gmt800-108/05-silverado-drivers-side-heater-problem-18928/)

marmstr895 November 11th, 2008 7:40 PM

05 Silverado Drivers Side Heater Problem

The drivers side heater on a dual control climate system isn't working. The cooling is working fine. Also both heat and cooling is working fine on the passenger side. Any ideas ?

jkgray80 November 13th, 2008 8:58 PM

RE: 05 Silverado Drivers Side Heater Problem

Changed or disconnected battery recently? Sounds like HVAC lost program. Need tech2 to relearn it.

marmstr895 November 15th, 2008 8:46 PM

RE: 05 Silverado Drivers Side Heater Problem

No, the battery has never been disconnected since I bought the truck new. Also the light on the driver side temperature control module isn't working, it is dark and the passenger side controller is still lit up. I am not sure if this is a burned out bulb or a something associated with the temp controller not working. I will disconnect the battery tomorrow and see if it fixes it. Thanks for the reply !

thedogg7 September 21st, 2010 7:16 PM

I know this is an old post, but i have the same problem same year. Dual zone, passenger side blows warm and cold but the driver side only blows cold. Any ideas?

Lazz September 27th, 2010 9:04 PM

Same here

Would love to get this fixed

Any ideas?

thedogg7 September 28th, 2010 9:06 AM

lazz,

this might help you out. i got mine working this week. i dont think my blend door actuator was bad, i think it was maybe stuck or possibly starting to go bad. i found the location of three actuators in my truck. is yours dual zone as well?

thedogg7 September 28th, 2010 1:18 PM

at any rate, this is what i did. (you'll probably need 7mm & 5.5 mm or the closest standard equivalent, tiny slotted screwdriver, large slotted screw driver for prying, some configuration of extensions, swivels, adapters. i took the black plastic kick plate off from under the dash. i think i had to use a swivel at one point and a 3/8 drive w/ 1/4" adapter because the extension for the 1/4" drive was too long. when you get it removed, you can see the blower motor (bosch) on the far right of the passenger side and its resistor (mine needed replaced because the fan only worked on "5"). You might also have to remove the duct work extension to the passenger side, but it just slides off.

the blend door actuator for the driver side is located just above the corner of the tranny hump on the passenger side. it is mounted to the bottom of the shiny black duct work. you should be able to see the black and red wires on the pigtail that plugs into it. it also has a red clip holding the pigtail in place. <O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
the blend door actuator for the passenger side is mounted on top of the duct work directly above the driver's blend door actuator. access to it requires the removal of the glove compartment panel and possibly other dash panels. <O:p></O:p>
the mode door actuator is located on the drivers side way up in the dash above the corner of tranny hump. is it mounted on it's side. This is probably not your problem if you trouble is similar to mine, but it's good for reference.<O:p></O:p>
At this point, hopefully you are in a quiet place. i put the truck in accessory, turned the fan off and moved the passenger temp control from hot to cold or vice versa. you should be able to hear the actuator motor spinning. listen closely, it's hard to hear. try the driver's side actuator. mine didn't make any noise so i removed the driver's side actuator by unplugging the pigtail, removing the the two mounting screws (gold, 5.5mm), and wiggling it back and forth. the actuator has a hole through the middle of it, connected to a gear inside, that sits on a post. basically, several plastic gears turn inside it, and rotate the hole which has two flat spots to grip the post. the hole moves the post which is connected to the bottom part of the blend door. When you remove the actuator, you will be able to turn the post by hand, and you should hear the blend door moving inside the duct work. If you can’t it is stuck and you need to try and free it up. I then used a small slotted screw driver to pry open the actuator. Everything in mine looked good. The gears weren’t stripped and nothing looked burnt. I pulled one of the plastic gears out (the one contacting the black one that turns the “hole” ). I repositioned the black gear a little bit. You’ll notice is has two contacts that slide along a circuit board. (Circuit boards are like magic to me.) To me, it looked like possibly those contacts slid off the board. With cover off, I used two small wires and the truck battery to test the actuator. Mine was spinning freely. I decided to hook the actuator back up and see what happened. You may have to reposition the black gear to get the hole and the post to line up. If your actuator isn’t working or you don’t feel like messing with it, a new actuator is about $155. Once I determined that actuator seemed to be functioning ok when I moved the temp control, I decided I would leave the kick panel off for now. If it quit working again, as a cheap fix, I would take the actuator off again and turn the blend door by hand to hot for the winter. When you think about it, there’re an awful lot of moving parts, switches, circuit boards and a motor to open and close one stupid little door. <O:p></O:p>
<O:p> </O:p>
Hopefully I helped you more than confused you. I promise it’ll make much more sense when you’re looking at it. Sorry for the lengthy explanation. I know a lot of my terminology especially with the actuator probably isn’t what these parts are technically called, but I’m not really a car guy, I was just cold. let me know if you have any questions or need a picture of something. good luck.

guvner November 1st, 2010 11:41 PM

I have a 2004 Silverado, 2500HD w/Crew cab and 6 litre engine. My left side mixer isn't doing much. I have nothing but heat coming out while my passenger side is perfectly happy so I'm presuming my mixer is having an issue.

I probably should have read your first paragraph before commenting... Sorry...

Thanks... Gary

thedogg7 November 2nd, 2010 7:27 AM

I'm assuming that you have dual climate. I would say your driver side blend door actuator is bad or stuck. I would take the black plastic cover off under the dash, shut the driver side door, lean in on the floor from the pass side, turn the truck in accessory and move climate control for one side at a time. You should be able to hear the electric motor spinning in the actuator. Listen closely. If the passenger side is working it'll give you a good idea of what you're listening for. I would guess you actuator is mounted somewhere close to where mine are (see my above post). Let me know what you find out.

YUKON1219 December 6th, 2010 8:24 AM

How do you remove the radio and dash in 2004 gmc yukon with daul zone climate control

oldphart September 7th, 2011 3:00 PM

How do you remove the radio and dash in 2005 impala with dual zone climate control?
oldphart

Dulceman November 2nd, 2011 10:55 AM

Thanks

Originally Posted by thedogg7 (Post 158513)
<O:p> </O:p>
Hopefully I helped you more than confused you. I promise it’ll make much more sense when you’re looking at it. Sorry for the lengthy explanation. I know a lot of my terminology especially with the actuator probably isn’t what these parts are technically called, but I’m not really a car guy, I was just cold. let me know if you have any questions or need a picture of something. good luck.

I have an 06 Silverado Crew Cab and the driver side temp was stuck on hot. I followed your explanation and it completely worked. I have some experience as a do it yourselfer so it was fairly easy. Thanks so much. If anyone else has the same problem I would consider this post, or contact me for help as well. I probably have to replace actuator (switcher) cause my air door wasn't stuck at all.
:)

Jimee November 27th, 2011 11:27 AM

The dogg is da man. I tried the battery disconnect didn't work. I took of the floor heater dispersement plastic thingy to give me some room ( one screw near the back of the right side . I disconnected the wire plug to the actuator. Then I took off the 2 screws holding the actuator and pulled it down and off. I also hack sawed the front black plastic thing in front of the actuator. ( probably not nescessary but I'm old and I couldn't see under there too good.) i grabbed the rod coming down in the back and turned it too the left. Wallaaaa!!!!! heat on the drivers side and defroster on the driver side. This is my work truck and has 250K on it. I just need it to make it through one more winter and I'll buy a new one I hope. it's not pretty but it's done. thanks Dogg!!!!!

Jimee November 27th, 2011 11:29 AM

FYI. I used thedogg7's post from 11/2/2010 to locate everything and get started.

stevejohnson48 March 21st, 2012 1:19 PM

Originally Posted by thedogg7 (Post 158513)
at any rate, this is what i did. (you'll probably need 7mm & 5.5 mm or the closest standard equivalent, tiny slotted screwdriver, large slotted screw driver for prying, some configuration of extensions, swivels, adapters. i took the black plastic kick plate off from under the dash. i think i had to use a swivel at one point and a 3/8 drive w/ 1/4" adapter because the extension for the 1/4" drive was too long. when you get it removed, you can see the blower motor (bosch) on the far right of the passenger side and its resistor (mine needed replaced because the fan only worked on "5"). You might also have to remove the duct work extension to the passenger side, but it just slides off.

the blend door actuator for the driver side is located just above the corner of the tranny hump on the passenger side. it is mounted to the bottom of the shiny black duct work. you should be able to see the black and red wires on the pigtail that plugs into it. it also has a red clip holding the pigtail in place. <o>:p></o>:p>
<o>:p></o>:p>
the blend door actuator for the passenger side is mounted on top of the duct work directly above the driver's blend door actuator. access to it requires the removal of the glove compartment panel and possibly other dash panels. <o>:p></o>:p>
the mode door actuator is located on the drivers side way up in the dash above the corner of tranny hump. is it mounted on it's side. This is probably not your problem if you trouble is similar to mine, but it's good for reference.<o>:p></o>:p>
At this point, hopefully you are in a quiet place. i put the truck in accessory, turned the fan off and moved the passenger temp control from hot to cold or vice versa. you should be able to hear the actuator motor spinning. listen closely, it's hard to hear. try the driver's side actuator. mine didn't make any noise so i removed the driver's side actuator by unplugging the pigtail, removing the the two mounting screws (gold, 5.5mm), and wiggling it back and forth. the actuator has a hole through the middle of it, connected to a gear inside, that sits on a post. basically, several plastic gears turn inside it, and rotate the hole which has two flat spots to grip the post. the hole moves the post which is connected to the bottom part of the blend door. When you remove the actuator, you will be able to turn the post by hand, and you should hear the blend door moving inside the duct work. If you can’t it is stuck and you need to try and free it up. I then used a small slotted screw driver to pry open the actuator. Everything in mine looked good. The gears weren’t stripped and nothing looked burnt. I pulled one of the plastic gears out (the one contacting the black one that turns the “hole” ). I repositioned the black gear a little bit. You’ll notice is has two contacts that slide along a circuit board. (Circuit boards are like magic to me.) To me, it looked like possibly those contacts slid off the board. With cover off, I used two small wires and the truck battery to test the actuator. Mine was spinning freely. I decided to hook the actuator back up and see what happened. You may have to reposition the black gear to get the hole and the post to line up. If your actuator isn’t working or you don’t feel like messing with it, a new actuator is about $155. Once I determined that actuator seemed to be functioning ok when I moved the temp control, I decided I would leave the kick panel off for now. If it quit working again, as a cheap fix, I would take the actuator off again and turn the blend door by hand to hot for the winter. When you think about it, there’re an awful lot of moving parts, switches, circuit boards and a motor to open and close one stupid little door. <o>:p></o>:p>
<o>:p> </o>:p>

//////--------///////
I read your post about disconnect the battery to get the A/C and heater controls working again ,Ive done that several times, and the unit comes back with other characteristics still not functioning right either no cold air and or levels not coordinating or both {read on please} , I spent about $200.00 dollars on the A/C my 90 K1500 last summer! and when I wanted the heat it started acting up !! check the small survo motors, they seem to do what there suppose to do except when you would try to get the dash vents to stay in one position it would travel right past the dash on to the floor with out stopping, now the only feature I can get is hot air to the windshield ,and the dash control panel arrow indicators blink, both the vertical and the horizontals,so I guess the question I'm asking is the instrument control panel or the servo motors giving me fits??? [[[90 chevy silverado ASM H/AC control panel, the unit I'm looking for has a recycle button were most that I've seen have a MAX air button I need the one that has a the REC button!!!! the way I under stand it the one with the MAX is not enter changeable correct me if I'm wrong]], please advise Steve; is there a way that just run cables to the levels and hot and cold doors and bi pass the electrics

sfrasher August 26th, 2012 7:56 PM

I have found out in here somewhere that the "battery disconnect" fix only applies to the negative terminal. Disconnect the negative terminal, count to 10, reconnect it. That resets the heater/AC controls. It worked for me. I screwed mine up by disconnecting the positive terminal and reconnecting it. Six months later, I did the neg terminal reset and everything suddenly started working again.

To stevejohnson48: my "new" 1993 Silverado has "MAX" on the button, but the display says "REC". It does seem to switch from recycle to fresh...at least I can hear a change. I don't know if that answers any questions, but I hope it helps.

Giggety September 11th, 2012 10:45 PM

Try pulling your hvac fuse and putting it back in. It happens to me a couple times a year and doing that seems to reset it. It's located in the fuse box under the hood. 10 amp I think.

ed2hess September 16th, 2012 4:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Driving along driver side suddenly goes from cold to hot and passenger side still cold. I can shut off truck and restart and everything fine for maybe an hour or maybe all day. I reset the HVAC/ECAS and now will drive this week. You can see that I have slider control for temp. What should I do next?

Chevrolet Customer Service September 20th, 2012 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by ed2hess (Post 226850)
Driving along driver side suddenly goes from cold to hot and passenger side still cold. I can shut off truck and restart and everything fine for maybe an hour or maybe all day. I reset the HVAC/ECAS and now will drive this week. You can see that I have slider control for temp. What should I do next?

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> This may be an actuator issue, just a suggestion not a diagnosis. I encourage you to consult with a certified technician for an official diagnosis.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service

ed2hess September 20th, 2012 5:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service (Post 227202)
This may be an actuator issue, just a suggestion not a diagnosis. I encourage you to consult with a certified technician for an official diagnosis.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service

I went to certified chev service and after discussion with
them they said they woudl replace the actuator. Other input I have gotten on here and other places suggests that is wrong. So if I paid Chev $400 and they replace the actuator and it don't fix the problem what will they do?

Chevrolet Customer Service September 25th, 2012 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by ed2hess (Post 227233)
I went to certified chev service and after discussion with
them they said they woudl replace the actuator. Other input I have gotten on here and other places suggests that is wrong. So if I paid Chev $400 and they replace the actuator and it don't fix the problem what will they do?

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> ed2hess,

Your dealer should be able to assist you with this further. Has the vehicle been diagnosed for this issue?

Louis
GM Customer Service

ed2hess September 27th, 2012 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service (Post 227617)
ed2hess,

Your dealer should be able to assist you with this further. Has the vehicle been diagnosed for this issue?

Louis
GM Customer Service

I am asking you as a customer service rep what will chev do if they put in the actuator and it doesn't fix t he problem?

Chevrolet Customer Service October 8th, 2012 3:10 PM

Originally Posted by ed2hess (Post 227850)
I am asking you as a customer service rep what will chev do if they put in the actuator and it doesn't fix t he problem?

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> ed2hess,

This will be dependent on the part used. Please speak with your dealer for part warranty information. I cannot make any guarantee, as the vehicle has not been diagnosed. In addition, the vehicle is no longer under warranty.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Myles McCarthy September 24th, 2013 7:11 PM

2004 Silverado Has No Heat On Driver Side

AC works great, and heat works great on passenger side...just no heat on driver side...need to get this fixed! not looking to take to dealer...fix myself

in2pro September 24th, 2013 7:59 PM

Myles McCarthy welcome to the forum :)

I'd be my guess that it is the blend door(s)
might want check the electrical connections to the blend doors, unplug and plug back in and see if that works, if not the motor for the drivers side is probably out.

stevejohnson48 September 25th, 2013 7:31 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by thedogg7 (Post 161818)
I'm assuming that you have dual climate. I would say your driver side blend door actuator is bad or stuck. I would take the black plastic cover off under the dash, shut the driver side door, lean in on the floor from the pass side, turn the truck in accessory and move climate control for one side at a time. You should be able to hear the electric motor spinning in the actuator. Listen closely. If the passenger side is working it'll give you a good idea of what you're listening for. I would guess you actuator is mounted somewhere close to where mine are (see my above post). Let me know what you find out.

Here's a couple of diagrams for my 90/ You can go to GMpartsgiant.com punch in your Vin# and get and see almost every part # and diagram there is ??/ Find the best description in the columns then click on view and a diagram will come up for those items if you don't see you part on that location click on a different column and then view diagram ??/ hope this helps:o there's probably a double on pic's below ??/

ed2hess September 25th, 2013 1:29 PM

Originally Posted by in2pro (Post 257686)
Myles McCarthy welcome to the forum :)

I'd be my guess that it is the blend door(s)
might want check the electrical connections to the blend doors, unplug and plug back in and see if that works, if not the motor for the drivers side is probably out.

I figured out the obvious.....get the damn thing in ac mode and working and unplug it and then it can't ever ever move the door and blow warm air... cold ac the rest of the summer, then in winter plug it in if you need heat.

fpopjfj December 16th, 2013 8:41 PM

What is a tech2? My battery was just changed and problem started immediately. 2005 with dual control. Passenger side works perfectly

in2pro December 16th, 2013 9:05 PM

Welcome to the forum. The tech2 it the programming tool used by the dealer.

fpopjfj December 16th, 2013 9:59 PM

do you know if there is any other way to reset besides going to the dealer?

Yankee_1 December 17th, 2013 9:26 AM

I have same problem in my 2006. The light goes out on the drivers side and It actually blows hotter then when I had the heat on high. It will only blow hot even when AC is on. I assume its a loose connection because if I hit top of dash hard or bottom by ashtray the light comes back on and all is well until it goes out again. I am a procrastinator and keep putting off going to the dealer but I am going to soon.

fpopjfj December 17th, 2013 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by fpopjfj (Post 263527)
What is a tech2? My battery was just changed and problem started immediately. 2005 with dual control. Passenger side works perfectly

Pulled the unit apart today, found that the large gear in the actuator assy was cracked. Found a new unit on Amazon at half the auto parts store price.

in2pro December 17th, 2013 2:44 PM

Great find... Amazon is a great source for parts :)
take picture of the broken parts and post if you can...

ed2hess December 18th, 2013 6:44 PM

Originally Posted by fpopjfj (Post 263584)
Pulled the unit apart today, found that the large gear in the actuator assy was cracked. Found a new unit on Amazon at half the auto parts store price.

What did it cost? I assume you took out the blend door actuating motor? How long did it take. Any input would be helpful. I simpy unplug the actuator motor.

fpopjfj December 18th, 2013 6:58 PM

Originally Posted by ed2hess (Post 263732)
What did it cost? I assume you took out the blend door actuating motor? How long did it take. Any input would be helpful. I simpy unplug the actuator motor.

The one from Amazon is $69.95, Advance Auto was $138.00; Took about an hour to get the old removed, new actuator should be here tomorrow and I'm hoping to be able to say "job done!"

in2pro December 19th, 2013 10:18 AM

Take and post a few pictures of your process as a how to if you can :)

fpopjfj December 19th, 2013 10:43 AM

Blend door actuator change

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by fpopjfj (Post 263733)
The one from Amazon is $69.95, Advance Auto was $138.00; Took about an hour to get the old removed, new actuator should be here tomorrow and I'm hoping to be able to say "job done!"

Installed the new actuator, ran through the cal procedure, and "whoopee", heat works fine again. I want to thank everyone for their help. Attached (hopefully) is a picture of the old actuator with the cracked gear

Heavy-Chevy2500hd March 21st, 2014 5:24 AM

I have a similar problem, my ac/heat will only go to 3, if I put it on 4 or 5 the whole ac/heat thing shuts off. also when I have it on 0 "off" it blows, but only when im moving. the faster I go the more it blows....

dlluinstra September 21st, 2014 7:36 PM

Still not working

05 Silverado LT dual climate control.
Replaced the Blend Motor and the Dash Control Unit and have disconnected the battery and done the recalibrate, pulled the fuzes and did the recalibrate. (key in ACC for several minutes)

Still no joy, no auto function, air flow is either "ice cold" or "total hot." I is produced only when the temp is set to 90 (the max).

HELP!

Thank you
David

hsr1hsr1 November 7th, 2014 6:25 PM

2006 Silverado Dual Non Auto Climate Control Drivers Side

Hello
I just recently bought this truck used, and kind of thought that the heating/cooling system was not acting correctly. The cabin temperature would vary greatly while driving and/or the temperature controls did not seem to respond to changes I made ,so I was constantly adjusting the temperatures to get what I wanted.I investigated today with the truck safely parked and noticed that there was no change in the temperature of the air coming from the 2 left vents in the dash as I slid the left temp slider up and down, but the air temp coming from the 2 right vents changed as I slid the right slider up and down. I then searched on the internet and came across this post (the 09-28-2010 post by the dogg7 in particular). As he mentioned, with the truck off, the heater fan off, and the key in the accessory position, I was only able to hear the passenger temperature blend motor working as I slide each of the temp sliders up and down.I then removed the heater fuse in the fuse box under the hood and the 2 heater fuses in the fuse box at the left side of the dash for 10 minutes as suggested in some other posts, and everything is working correctly again. Will the problem return ?.Is the temp blend motor on the way out. I have never disconnected the battery which some suggest can trigger this problem. From what I read ,the drivers temp blend door motor is on the passenger side and fairly easy to get at and change or fix. How hard is it to get at the passenger side temp blend door motor,if it should fail too? Does a lot of the dash have to be torn apart to get at it, as some web sites mention? Would it be a good idea to change the heater core while everything is torn apart since the truck is 8 years old?
Thanks Nov 2014