1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2000 Silverado NEW replaced ignition issues

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2016 | 5:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2000 Silverado NEW replaced ignition issues

Hey y'all, was wondering is anyone can give my son some advice? I gave him my old 2000 Silverado. The ignition locked up beyond jiggling. He replaced it with a new one from the auto parts store. He had no issues removing it or replacing it with the new one. Unfortunately, when he went to turn it over it was as if the battery was dead (it wasn't). The new ignition won't turn the engine over. He's disconnected the battery and let it sit for about 20 minuets and tried again. Still nothing. I'm not sure what he's doing wrong if anything at all. Maybe it's something else now? Anyone have any ideas?
Old May 25th, 2016 | 9:44 PM
Super Moderator

the passlock resistor (theft deterrent) is in the mechanical part of the lock cylinder housing...Is that what he replaced? Pics?

Is the theft light on? If a new housing was installed a theft deterrent relearn must be performed. do not do a relearn if this is not the case.

typically the keys wear out. cutting a new key with a key code (not tracing the worn out key) will resolve the problem....but you are past that now.