Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2002 6.0 burning oil only while towing

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2016, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 6.0 burning oil only while towing

I'm looking for some help before I give up and dump the truck:

2002 1500HD with the 6.0/4L80E with 118k on it

Truck wasn't maintained well before I got it, the kid was one of those "get in, turn it on, drive, turn it off" kinds. Oil changes were likely always late and inconsistent, transmission oil has not been changed. Before I got it, the water pump went out, so he had that and the serpentine belt replaced at a local shop before I picked it up. Truck runs fine and shifts smooth without a heavy load, I made the mistake of assuming that aside from some cosmetics that drive me crazy, it would be a good truck to daily drive and haul the rock crawler to parks with a few times a year until I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new truck.

Put the jeep on the trailer, hauled it to down the street and noticed right away that the power in this truck just really isn't there (should have bought a diesel) but I was ok with that because after all, its a half ton pulling a very heavy Jeep with armor and one ton axles. Got it home and while backing in noticed that I had some white-ish smoke coming out of the tail pipe. Didn't think much of it because at the time it was still pretty cold and wet outside, and it wasn't that far of a drive to really get it warmed up. A couple months went by, and it was time for a trip to the park. Loaded up and got about 10 miles out, same thing happened again. This time I walked around it and sure enough- smells like oil burning. Turned the truck off, let it cool down and unloaded it. Fired it back up and zipped around with no load- not a single puff of smoke.

So heres where I am with it:
No coolant in the oil
Changed the oil to a "high mileage" advertised 10W30 (non synthetic since he never made the switch)
Looks like I might have a small oil leak between the trans and the motor, thinking rear main seal- literally only a few drops after driving around a while, and not consistent to every trip out.
Checked the PCV valve, and it was junked up pretty bad. The hole was almost completely covered. Thought for SURE this was going to be the culprit and I was going to luck out on a $2.58 replacement.
Popped the new one in, and since I could only get it to smoke with the load, I loaded the Jeep on the trailer and took off for about a 15 minute ride around the block consisting of a combination of highway and city speeds. Truck did well, not great pulling power but still keeping in mind its a gas motor and 3.73 gears.

Pulled into my driveway............if anything I have MORE smoke. The smoke smells to me like oil only, I'm not smelling any coolant and I still don't have any coolant in my oil. I talked to a local shop, and he was thinking that it may be transmission related, since its only when pulling a heavy load. He doesn't think its rings because he thinks it would be more consistent. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or maybe have an idea?