Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2004 duramax rear axles

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2022, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 duramax rear axles

I'm wondering , does the 2004 2500 and 3500 have the same axle?
I am wanting to buy a 5th wheel but the weight will put me to close to the 2500 load capacity. I'm hoping to just add springs as apposed to buy another truck.
anybody know or have done this?
Old August 28th, 2022, 8:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 272 Likes on 235 Posts

If you’re still needing an answer…

The 2500 axle is a 10.5” ring gear, the 3500 axle is an 11.5” ring gear, but otherwise the internal components are identical.

The determining factor in weight rating is going to be whether it’s a single or dual wheel axle. The dually axle will have a higher weight rating but the type of tires used will also determine the weight rating.

I service and repair dozens of Chevy trucks from this era and I’ve seen plenty of 2500’s pulling 5th wheels. Installing tires with a higher load rating (E or F) will help but it depends on what you’re pulling - if it’s a camper that is already pushing the weight limit and loading it with all your supplies will further stress it, you’re probably better off getting a bigger truck.

If it’s a gooseneck for hauling vehicles and equipment but won’t typically be loaded to capacity, you’ll probably be fine using the truck you have.
Old August 28th, 2022, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks for your reply

It seems that the axle housings are the same on the 3/4 and 1 ton single axle. (Except for gearing) , would adding 1 ton leaf springs basically give me a 1 tons capacity ?
Old August 29th, 2022, 1:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 272 Likes on 235 Posts

It would give you a 1 ton capacity in terms of what the springs and axle can support, but you’ll still need tires that can support the same load.

If you’re going to swap springs, I’d recommend first hitting a manual car wash and thoroughly cleaning the leaf spring mounts, shackles, saddles and plates and inspect the general condition of the frame and axle.

Dirt accumulates in the saddles (curved plate that sits on the bottom of the axle to hold the U-bolts) and it’s not uncommon for the axle tube to rust more heavily in those spots. More than once I’ve had to reinforce the tubes before I could install new u-bolts or the torque on the bolts would crush the tube.
Old August 29th, 2022, 3:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by Gumby22
It would give you a 1 ton capacity in terms of what the springs and axle can support, but you’ll still need tires that can support the same load.

If you’re going to swap springs, I’d recommend first hitting a manual car wash and thoroughly cleaning the leaf spring mounts, shackles, saddles and plates and inspect the general condition of the frame and axle.

Dirt accumulates in the saddles (curved plate that sits on the bottom of the axle to hold the U-bolts) and it’s not uncommon for the axle tube to rust more heavily in those spots. More than once I’ve had to reinforce the tubes before I could install new u-bolts or the torque on the bolts would crush the tube.
Spoiler