Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Battery Light

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2016, 7:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Light

Hello all. I have been lingering here off and on for a while but never posted. Now that I have a running driving 1999 GMC Sierra I have a need.

A little history:I did an engine swap about a 8 months ago. When I parked the truck prior to the swap I don't recall a light being on but I only ran it long enough to get it in the garage with an engine rap so I may have not seen it.

My dilemma is I have the battery light on constantly in the message center. I did have to replace the alternator. The old one got stuck while sitting the year it took me to get to the engine swap. I have had the bed off the truck, replaced the fuel pump and removed, cleaned and replaced all the ground connections in the rear. I did the same with the grounds under the cab, under the battery box and on the firewall. I have tested the alternator and it is putting out 14.6 volts. The battery is only 3 years old from date of MFR and tests fine with a load tester and doesn't lose any voltage even when parked for days.

I do also have an ABS light on but it has electrical tape over it so I assumed the original owner I got the truck from didn't want to fix a wheel sensor and didn't like the ABS. I didn't like it on my old 1995 Chevy either so I wasn't concerned with this.

I have searched the web and here but it seems difficult at best to find the answer.

I did find on here that someone had an issue with the mega fuse in the fuse panel under the hood. Everything works on this truck so I can't imagine it could be that. All fuses check out good when tested installed.

Someone else mentioned a cluster but I don't have any other issues in the cluster. Everything else seems to work fine. The voltage looks a little high but the lines don't seem to correspond to actual voltage numbers anyway unless right on 12 or 14. So it is hard to tell. I tested actual voltage with a meter at 14.6.

Sorry for the long winded post but I can't seem to find any issues with this truck other than that light being illuminated. I have driven this truck for almost 5000 miles now without issue. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can suggest.
Old May 16th, 2016, 6:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpower_hd
Hello all. I have been lingering here off and on for a while but never posted. Now that I have a running driving 1999 GMC Sierra I have a need.

A little history:I did an engine swap about a 8 months ago. When I parked the truck prior to the swap I don't recall a light being on but I only ran it long enough to get it in the garage with an engine rap so I may have not seen it.

My dilemma is I have the battery light on constantly in the message center. I did have to replace the alternator. The old one got stuck while sitting the year it took me to get to the engine swap. I have had the bed off the truck, replaced the fuel pump and removed, cleaned and replaced all the ground connections in the rear. I did the same with the grounds under the cab, under the battery box and on the firewall. I have tested the alternator and it is putting out 14.6 volts. The battery is only 3 years old from date of MFR and tests fine with a load tester and doesn't lose any voltage even when parked for days.

I do also have an ABS light on but it has electrical tape over it so I assumed the original owner I got the truck from didn't want to fix a wheel sensor and didn't like the ABS. I didn't like it on my old 1995 Chevy either so I wasn't concerned with this.

I have searched the web and here but it seems difficult at best to find the answer.

I did find on here that someone had an issue with the mega fuse in the fuse panel under the hood. Everything works on this truck so I can't imagine it could be that. All fuses check out good when tested installed.

Someone else mentioned a cluster but I don't have any other issues in the cluster. Everything else seems to work fine. The voltage looks a little high but the lines don't seem to correspond to actual voltage numbers anyway unless right on 12 or 14. So it is hard to tell. I tested actual voltage with a meter at 14.6.

Sorry for the long winded post but I can't seem to find any issues with this truck other than that light being illuminated. I have driven this truck for almost 5000 miles now without issue. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can suggest.
Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. We are vendors on the site and specialize in instrument cluster repairs!

First, let us ask: what is the part number on the cluster?

Feel free to contact us directly too, at 262-456-4147 or by email at taninautocontact@gmail.com.

Looking forward to speaking with you soon and hopefully we can offer some help!